WTB Dogwood. ♫ εηdεd ♫

Mike Turner

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Im looking for a piece of dogwood big enough for part of the ashes of a 13 lb dog...a small amount as they are going to probably be divided between my wife ,her mother and maybe myself..This is a thought for now.I appreciate any directions on this..Never made an urn but am a turner!

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Hey Mike, sorry to hear about loss of pet. I might have a log section been drying a couple years that an endgrain turn centered on pith is possible, may need to fill some splits. Dogwood is tough to get very big sizes pith free, and it's like fruit woods in checking easily. What are you thinking size wise. 4"??
Ironically, I was just turning a piece of dogwood tonight, small shallow bowl.

Mike Turner

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Tim, yes 4" should be big enough.There really wont be a lot of ashes esp since she will be divided between 3 urns...I have had some here in the past but just not now.Im still in thinking mode on all this...I know here in North Carolina the powder post beetles love dogwood too.Have seen the little piles of sawdust many times under pieces stored with bark on it.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Hi Tim, yes 4" should be big enough.There really wont be a lot of ashes esp since she will be divided between 3 urns...I have had some here in the past but just not now.Im still in thinking mode on all this...I know here in North Carolina the powder post beetles love dogwood too.Have seen the little piles of sawdust many times under pieces stored with bark on it.
Well, this is the one I was thinking about. A good 5" diam under bark, and been air drying for a couple years, from NC and sure to have some powderpost beetles esp under the bark. It's about 23" long, I could cut in half, remove loose bark and stick a half of this ( in full log form)in a MFRB. The check on this end looks to only go about 2-1/2" down, surprising since this was never end grain sealed.
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Turner

Reaction score
First name
Mike
How much do you want for it? How much would total be? Im unsure on making the urn at the moment but may use the dogwood for something else or may use it to make the urn! No rush just let me know. My mind is torn in so many directions right now! Thanks!!

Last edited:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Here's the piece with 3" cut off the one end, stripped of bark and a check that ran thru mid section. 8" long, min diam 5", max diam 6". Some bug holes, but look easy to fill. MC is 12%, so this should be pretty stable. Let me know if still interested, I had hoped the check was contained in the end only, so understand if you'd prefer not to mess with filling the check or bug holes. Has a nice light pink color, @KYTURKEY or others would probably like for call blanks, so no problem on my end if you want to pass.:good:
IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1633.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Turner

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I just now saw your post..been busy.I think I will pass...Thanks for all your time and effort!!

KYTURKEY

Reaction score
First name
Patrick
@TimR I was actually getting ready to post looking for some dogwood. I am needing some 1-1/4" square by 12" long if you have anything that would work for striker blanks.

Thanks,
Patrick

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I do Patrick, but likely not in the pinkish tones. Mostly the creamy color. How many looking for, I'll see what I have.

KYTURKEY

Reaction score
First name
Patrick
That's fine. I need at least 2, but probably more depending on price. I said 12", but anything from 10-12 Will work.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Take a look at these dry blanks. The 5 center ones (exclude first and last blank) could be trimmed to 11-1/2" and fit snug in a padded Flat rate envelope. How's $30 shipped for the 5 pieces? Somewhere I know I've also got some 1-1/2" or so x 18" pieces too, just haven't found.
IMG_1665.JPG IMG_1666.JPG IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1668.JPG