Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

WTB: Donut Chuck

Discussion in 'Woodworking-Related Items For Sale, Trade, or WTB' started by Bean_counter, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Michael
    I’m in the market for a donut chuck and wanted to see if anyone here had one for sale first. Thanks

2. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    They’re pretty easy to make with some MDF and carriage bolts... I’ve got one that I made 5 or 6 years ago, but I haven’t touched it in a long time. I’d give it to you if you were local, but it wouldn’t be worth the cost of shipping.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Mike, I can send you the plastic if you want to make one, if Doc will tell you how.

4. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Doc. Did you like using it? I just have a hell of time turning off a foot on my bowls and this looked like a good way to do it. I used a long worth chuck at one time but had issues with the bowl coming off

5. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Tony. I may watch some videos tonight to see how easy it is. The Ron brown ones are CRAZY expensive for what it is

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jasonb

jasonb Sawdust = man glitter Full Member

First name:
    Jason
    Mmmmm Donuts....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    You coulda mentioned that before you sold it to me! :headscratch2:
    Or, at least before that damn vase tried to launch today!! :lol2:

All is well... had the tool rest up snug so it didn't get away, dinged up the bottom edge a little and mandated a minor change in design. Reset with tailstock and tool rest in place, and got the bottom cleaned up. Moved tailstock to try and clean the center up around tailstock and damned if it didn't try to launch again. Tightened it up really snug all the way around that time and took really light cuts, cleaned out far enough to reengage tailstock, to finish it up, added a few bling rings in the bottom, then backed tailstock out, and sanded.

Vase was already finished on top, was a little punky in spots when I turned it and was trying to stabilize and seal it some so I could sand it clean; thought I had messed up my finish as all the little rubber stoppers had dust around them.

But... all is well!! :good2: Not a scratch on the top, aside from a few minor dings from the first launch.

Didn't have a bit of trouble with it the first time I used it, but I didn't have 6 hours invested in sanding that one. It was also much shallower; the added length flopping around out there on rubber bushings no doubt, did not help! I've got to get to town and pick up a sheet of MDF to cut and glue up as well.

8. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Well Rocky, why do you think he sold it to you? :sarcastic::sarcastic:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    I had wondered up to this afternoon! Worked pretty good last time I used it!! :lol2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Well hell rocky I thought it was just user error on my part. Want me to refund you? I don’t want to sell you crap

• Funny Funny x 1
    • +Karma +Karma x 1
  11. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    No, I'm good with it Mike! Shoulda got out my Nubs and Stubs Tail Stock Steady and put on with it, but I really wasn't expecting it to spit that vase out in the fashion it did, sweet as it worked last time. I thought it was operator error on my part!

Then I came in the house and lo and behold, here you are saying you had the same problems, not even an hour after it launched. It was too funny!! :lol2:

12. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    I didn’t really care for it. It’s big and bulky, and it doesn’t give me access to the entire backside of the bowl like the vacuum chuck does. Jerry’s tailstock steady works better than a donut or long worth chuck for my style of turning.

In order of preference, I’d choose a vacuum chuck before anything else. Jerry’s tail steady would be second. Just leaving a nub to deal with by hand would be a close third, and the donut/long worth/cole jaws would be a distant last place for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 4:59 PM