WTB: Large Bowl

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
My wife would like a nice sized bowl for fruit since the bowl we're currently using isn't large enough (about 10"). My lathe only has a 12" swing, so I thought I'd look to get one from someone here.

Doesn't need to be any sort of special or out of this world wood. Just a nice wood bowl we can put on our table and use for fruit. About 14 to 16" in diameter and 3 to 4" overall height is the preferred size. Something with a food safe and easily refreshed finish, like butcher block wax/oil, would be ideal. Can even be sent unfinished if that's easier - I've got plenty of butcher block oil on hand.

I can pay cash or trade stabilized/dyed blanks or finished pens or any combination thereof.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have some very nice figured thick large maple if you take the oneway idea. Not dry. Also have some dry big stuff coming out of kiln soon

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I've got several big bowls that I have sanded but not finished(warped pear and silver maple). I've got a couple nested sets also(walnut and maple). Also a walnut natural edge. I'll post pics if any of that sounds interesting.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Colin, Thanks for the offer! I really like the idea of turning it myself, but you might need to provide some tutorial with that too, especially on using and sharpening a bowl gouge. :scare3: (Or bowel gouge if you're Keller.) :sarcastic:

Mike, if I go the route of turning it myself at Colin's, I'd probably be after you for a chunk of wood - don't have anything that big laying around here, lol.

Keller, let's see a couple pics of what you've got. I really like the thought of turning it myself, but since this is for my wife, I'd like to give her options and let her choose which she'd prefer. Can't read her mind, but I like doing what I can to make her happy - or at least not annoy her more than she's able to withstand.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I think turning it yourself would be cool, but here are a few options if you decide against it. I've got a few others that I just turned to final thickness but they're not dry yet... still moving.

Figured silver maple. Turned green, rocker bottom and warped kind of oval. Orange oil and wax finish. 13.5x 12.5x about 4".
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG

Walnut nested set. Round bottoms but twice turned. Can't remember what kind of finish, but they could use a coat of oil/wax. 14/10/7"
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG

Silver maple. Not warped. A few live oak bow ties in a bark inclusion. No finish. About 16" by 5" with a flat bottom.
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Talked to Katy. @DKMD - those are beauties! We'd love to give any of them a home, but hearing Colin's offer for me to use the Oneway, she fell in love with the idea of me turning it for her.

@Mike1950 - I'm going to see if I can't source something locally first. But if I can't find anything I can cut local, I'll get with you on a blank.

@Schroedc - Thanks again for the offer! When I've got a blank, I'll be in touch as to when it would work out to head your way and turn a bowl on the Oneway. I'll bring my bowl gouges so I can get used to using them, but I'll also have to ask you for a lesson on sharpening and using them - they came with my previous lathe when I bought it and I've never used them because I wasn't sure how to sharpen or use them. What little bowl work I've done thus far has been with carbides.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Talked to Katy. @DKMD - those are beauties! We'd love to give any of them a home, but hearing Colin's offer for me to use the Oneway, she fell in love with the idea of me turning it for her.

@Mike1950 - I'm going to see if I can't source something locally first. But if I can't find anything I can cut local, I'll get with you on a blank.

@Schroedc - Thanks again for the offer! When I've got a blank, I'll be in touch as to when it would work out to head your way and turn a bowl on the Oneway. I'll bring my bowl gouges so I can get used to using them, but I'll also have to ask you for a lesson on sharpening and using them - they came with my previous lathe when I bought it and I've never used them because I wasn't sure how to sharpen or use them. What little bowl work I've done thus far has been with carbides.

No problem, this thing has a 24 inch swing so you can look at some really big blanks. Also we can look at the size of your tools, I've got some huge ones you can use also if you decide to try and max out the lathe :sarcastic:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony

Colin, it's probably going to be awhile before Matt comes over. After seeing the lathe stand he built, I'm guessing it's going to take him some time since he has to rehandle him bowl gouges with gold-gilded Gaboon Ebony with unicorn hair inlay.

:sofa:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Colin, it's probably going to be awhile before Matt comes over. After seeing the lathe stand he built, I'm guessing it's going to take him some time since he has to rehandle him bowl gouges with gold-gilded Gaboon Ebony with unicorn hair inlay.

He can use mine with the machined aluminum handles three feet long....

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I could send this one for him to use, the handle is 26" long! 14959404329992116094228.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt

Nah, that's not high class enough. Chittum Burl with solid platinum accents. :sarcastic:

I do actually want to rehandle my tools though. Even the big 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge has a handle that is a bit too small diameter for me to comfortably grip and control. I'll probably use Walnut or Cherry for it.

He can use mine with the machined aluminum handles three feet long....

That thing could double as a defense weapon if someone snuck up behind you at the lathe!

The100road

Reaction score
First name
Stan
Hey Matt, a birdy told me that Colin might have came across some koa & monkey pod that would probably make a pretty darn cool bowl.

Just sayin.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Hey Matt, a birdy told me that Colin might have came across some koa & monkey pod that would probably make a pretty darn cool bowl.

Just sayin.

I'm not sure my pockets are deep enough to buy that big of a chunk of either!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I have a walnut log I would give you if you come and get it

Thanks for the offer, Danny! I do think I may have found a chunk locally, but either way I had to put this project on the back burner for the time being.