ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I found an old Stanley #3 plane that needs some lovins. Got it for 2 bucks!

IMG_20161015_134144713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_134216809_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_134241320_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_134251371_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_134304436.jpg

The handle is broken, but the wood looks good, so I'll glue it together see how it looks after. And it needs a new front knob....
Not bad eh?

Last edited:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I May have a tote and knob for that one, I just stripped out several bad ones. Also- Show us a picture of the frog with the blade and cap removed, That is either an early pre lateral or it's a later one with the lateral adjuster broken off, Also looks like it's missing a part in the depth adjustment. Once you get it apart I can let you know if I have the parts for it.....

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
@ripjack13 - Before you get too far into it, take some 320 sandpaper and clean up the side of the plane, I see some damage to the side of the mouth and something on the side that might be a crack. If it is cracked (I hope not but just thought I'd point out the first thing I see) I wouldn't put any time into it. If you want a nice 3 I can send one along when I ship your 6 and the pen blanks.

ripjack plane.jpg

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
@ripjack13 - Before you get too far into it, take some 320 sandpaper and clean up the side of the plane, I see some damage to the side of the mouth and something on the side that might be a crack. If it is cracked (I hope not but just thought I'd point out the first thing I see) I wouldn't put any time into it. If you want a nice 3 I can send one along when I ship your 6 and the pen blanks.

View attachment 115144

Fer $2??? :deal:

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I'm just wondering what kind of yo-yo would do this to a plane? Good Lord!!
It's not like they tapped it once or twice someone beat on that awhile.

IMG_20161015_134144713_HDR.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not cracked. Just chipped....

IMG_20161016_184701979.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guy who owned it was a mason, So my guess is he was not to careful with it.
For $2, I'll see what help I can give it....

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
The blade likely got wacked with a hammer because someone used it as a chisel once upon a time!

Good luck with the restore. Lots of rust remover and TLC and you will certainly end up with a user.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
I've seen damage to the blades like that before, If the lateral adjuster is missing and the lever for the depth adjuster I can see someone grabbing a hammer to make depth adjustments, Whack it down too far? Release the cap, pull the blade up, flip the lever and beat again. Not exactly a fine adjustment so they probably had to whack it a lot.

deltatango

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Marc - I think it's a cool project. The first thing I would do after cleaning the plane thoroughly would be to lap the whole bottom of the plane. You can put PSA paper on a good flat surface like a wing of your table saw or some corian or marble, granite, whatever so long as it's flat, then just push the plane along until you have all bright steel showing. Then take it through to successive grits up to 320 or 400. When you have a good flat, lapped surface to begin with, the rest will follow. You can lap the blade as well and other parts if they need it.

I think this is a good project to learn how to really tune a plane.

Here's a video about doing the things I mentioned:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/2013/09/26/handplane-tune-up-tips

I'll bet that after you work on that plane it will come back to life.
If you want to fill that divot in the base, take it to a welder and they can braze it - some have special stuff to tig weld as well.
It's small enough that it wouldn't take too much heat, and if there is any warping at all which I doubt there would be, it will come out when lapped.

Go through fixing that all up and you will learn a lot about planes and it will become a special friend.

Mark

Last edited: