• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Yo-Yo storage boxes

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Red oak with aromatic cedar dividers. The artwork is laser engraved and backfilled with epoxy resin:

box_3a.jpg box_3c.jpg

Mahogany with cedar aromatic dividers:
box_4c.jpg box_4d.jpg

And a few lathe turned examples:
2019_BoxSet_4c.jpg

Last edited:

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
No CNC in the shop. The laser engraving shown on the flat-work boxes above was contracted out to a local source. I do have a rose engine lathe that makes the carving embellishments on my turnings:

REmirror_1d.jpg

RE_5.jpg

Last edited:

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
This is nuts cool. I have no legitimate words to describe this.
Yes, a rose engine will add a whole new dimension to your woodworking. There are two or three small-run manufacturers of modern engines in the USA. Lindow Machine Works is my favorite.

REngine users come up with some really out of this world designs, like these (not my work):
d356ae91853f0157949b72e6b63bdadc.jpg
06dd862cc8ad7690def231ac651766c2.jpg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I really like those boxes... and the yo-yo's. Very clean.

When you backfill the engraving, do you more or less apply the epoxy everywhere and then scrape as much off a possible? Then let it cure and start sanding? Or do you try to carefully put epoxy only in the engravings? I've thought about doing that on the cribbage boards I make with laser engraving.

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
I really like those boxes... and the yo-yo's. Very clean.

When you backfill the engraving, do you more or less apply the epoxy everywhere and then scrape as much off a possible? Then let it cure and start sanding? Or do you try to carefully put epoxy only in the engravings? I've thought about doing that on the cribbage boards I make with laser engraving.
Exactly as you described: fill design, remove excess as much as possible, let cure and then sand.

Another process is to take a finished piece, with a heavy coat of varnish already applied, then laser engrave it, cutting through the varnish to bare wood. Then, go back and fill in the lased area with a color agent like acrylic paint. The varnish should keep the color from migrating into un-lased areas:
TK_Mandala_2020_4a.jpg

TK_Mandala_2020_2a.jpg

Last edited:

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Dave Lindow lives a short drive up the road. Are you pleased with the product?
I was an early adopter, had mine for about 15 years. David has introduced a lot of design improvements and add-on gadgets over the years. His machines are really top of the line, and very likely in the class of heirloom collectibles...very pleased.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I was an early adopter, had mine for about 15 years. David has introduced a lot of design improvements and add-on gadgets over the years. His machines are really top of the line, and very likely in the class of heirloom collectibles...very pleased.

Very glad to hear.