Zero-Clearance Hack

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Here's a new forum for everyone to share ways to improve our woodworking experience. I decided some time ago that taking pictures of all four sides of a piece was too time-consuming so I made some little cradles out of mahogany to hold the pieces at 45° so I could cut my time spent taking pictures and editing and disk space usage in half. It doesn't work on flat boards but works perfectly on squares and rectangles that are close to square. Like this:

IMG_2679.JPG

But in order for the pieces to rest firmly in the tiny cradles, a relief cut needs to be made inside the cradle for the sharp corner of the piece to drop down into. You need a zero tolerance insert for that, but mine is no longer a zero insert because of a design flaw not relevant to this thread. Here's what I do when I need one:

IMG_2670-2.jpg

Clamp a thin board on the saw against the fence and raise the blade to desired height. Make sure board is clamped nice and tight and FLAT.

IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

Start your own thread and share your tip or trick or hack so we can all benefit. Let's make this forum a go-to place for cool woodworking hacks!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great forum, I've got a few I need to take pictures of and post. Tony

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I needed same pieces- used router table/ 90 degree bit and long board. Then cut into short pieces. Same result. Different need. I can see I will have to do it again though. I threw them away when done, Good Idea on showing 2 sides at once...

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cut the 45s in long pieces and then crosscut as well. But I didn't think about the relief cut I needed until after trying to balance the pieces. The point of the hack though is the zero clearance insert not the cradles. Router table work just as good.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Great finger saver @Kevin ! Although with the photo stand idea we got a twofer in this post :sarcastic:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I cut the 45s in long pieces and then crosscut as well. But I didn't think about the relief cut I needed until after trying to balance the pieces. The point of the hack though is the zero clearance insert not the cradles. Router table work just as good.

I Like the idea- I avoid the TS if I can use something else- :old::scare3: TS smiley language for the ol guy respects TS- or is skeered of it take yer pick.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Yep, good hack for saving fingers. I too have one or two things I'll have to get pics of to share.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I Like the idea- I avoid the TS if I can use something else- :old::scare3: TS smiley language for the ol guy respects TS- or is skeered of it take yer pick.

Hey you know I can relate. I have no fear of my "little" 5HP PM66, but as I have said before that 16" 7.5HP Oliver just made me retire it one day. I haven't had it wired in for several years now and have no plans to unless I need a production run of really thick boards for a big project, and in that case I will buy another power feeder for it but I will never use it manually again. Too damn scary. But frankly there's nothing the PM66 can't handle that I will ever do.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I was wondering how posting hacks would be any different than the WB member picture thread. Now I get it.

Jim Beam

Total loser
Banned
Reaction score
First name
Robert
Here's a new forum for everyone to share ways to improve our woodworking experience. I decided some time ago that taking pictures of all four sides of a piece was too time-consuming so I made some little cradles out of mahogany to hold the pieces at 45° so I could cut my time spent taking pictures and editing and disk space usage in half. It doesn't work on flat boards but works perfectly on squares and rectangles that are close to square. Like this:

View attachment 104352

I'll take all of those, PM me your paypal address. :cowboy: