13 Questions with Echoashtoreth (March 2020)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions

Howdy ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the much anticipated new monthly series. I'll be interviewing members of this great forum on a monthly basis. Each person gets the opportunity to answer 13 random questions by me. Some of the questions are woodworking related, some are not, and some are certainly off the wall. Some of the questions will be the same for everyone and some will not, I have an ever-growing list of questions I will pick from.
I hope you all enjoy this new series.
I'd like to thank everyone that has already taken the time to reply to my private conversations about this and replied with their answers.
So let's get this shindig started!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
13 Questions with @Echoashtoreth

1- What snack can you just not get enough of?

Ai Woo Woo… it’s a snack from china that is soft rice mochi with black sesame filling…. Or, if I had my mom’s recipe, her fried “frogs” which were just fried pieces of homemade bread dough (and the best thing ever!) but she didn’t like to share recipes…. ☹ and I have never been able to duplicate her milk bread recipe yet… close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades…

2- What is the biggest challenge you faced being a female knife maker?
“You didn’t really make that!” Even after growing up on a farm, riding rodeo, being a Marine Engr in the Army, working in plants… yes, it is 2019 and the attitude is still there… worse in some areas… better in others… I guess the hardest part is that you never know (in the first 30-60 seconds) whether or not you will be taken seriously/judged fairly…. I was told once in the oil and gas industry that it works like this: A male in the plants is immediately given respect just because he is there – but can lose it… A woman in a plant has to work like hell to earn it but once you have will never lose it… And it happens when you least expect it typically… meaning the person you most expect to be a professional will end up being a donkey’s rear but then support can also come from the most unlikely sources too.

3- What have you built that you are most proud of?
My first tanto out of TX Ebony – I burned up 2 cheap HF sanders and who knows how many dozen belts on that knife but it was a learning curve and turned into a beauty!
And my first charity donation knife that was purchased by a famous OG Astros player/manager for $$$$ - shocking the charity (and me)… Since then I try to donate to a couple of groups regularly…

4- What frustrates you about woodworking?

My stubborn habit of constantly trying new/gnarly/difficult woods and running blindly into (self imposed) butt whuppings that I could have avoided!

5- What’s an area of your woodworking you want to improve?
I am constantly trying to save time (not at the cost of quality), and learn new skills that open up new approaches to handle making for me… I have started with a wood lathe this year so I can turn hidden tang handles in the future (and other parts)… and a little carving….

6- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?
Bristlecone Pine… not because I really want to live that long but because I’m guessing it is the one that matches my dna for stubbornness.

7- What is your philosophy towards your woodworking/knifemaking?
As my maker’s mark is the alchemic measure of 1 scruple, I meant that to stand for my philosophy in my workmanship…. It will always be the best – the best wood, steel, fit, finish and at a fair price…

8- What other hobbies besides woodworking/knifemaking do you have?
Used to ride/train horses and do a lot of hand crafts – needlepoint, dreamcatchers, quilting… but 3 neck surgeries (ask the horses) and nerve damage to my hand kinda nixed that… Still like to cook and read… photography and hiking when I can get out and about… Dog rescue and training when I have time around my work travel…

9- Who is your favorite knifemaker?
That is a hard question… it’s like asking a foodie their favorite food/chef – they will probably immediately ask “what type?”.. SO, I really like Ken Onion as an “edc” commercial designer (have for a long time) but could never afford a custom from him… I am super impressed with the guys like Boyd Ashworth who can take a gnarly piece of wood or antler and turn it into a goblin encrusted w/tiny gems – to me that is more talent than putting a program into a CNC or plasma cutter – which so many of the guys seem to be doing these days…

10- What are your top priorities when you make something?
Getting the balance where it should be (or where the customer wants it – however misguided that may be); perfect pin holes and bolster joints; a palm-swell that will keep it in your hand (no matter how slimy it is) and an awesome finish – whichever the customer has chosen (and I wish I had never figured out how to gloss resinous wood handles)….. As long as I pick first rate materials, as long as I concentrate on the minute details, then the rest will take care of themselves.

11- What are your favorite kinds of projects to do/make?
I like to try new woods (for a while I would purchase a new wood every time I came across it – luckily I have outgrown that habit). I also really like to make personal gifts – it is really gratifying to make someone happy with the result of your labor… I’m a hobbyist – I know I will never enrich my pocket so I guess it’s good that I’m just as happy paying the bills and enriching myself in other ways…

12- Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere or be able to read minds?
Teleport, of course! Humans are horrible – why would I want to read their minds?!? Now if I could teleport, I would never get any work done because I would be forever blipping off to faraway places for a favorite snack, to stare at a gorgeous, stubborn tree or to just breathe cleaner air, stare at art or something beautiful!

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
Heard about WB from some guys at SWAT and I appreciate the open help, discussion and good-natured sharing of resources – both literal and figurative… that’s what keeps me coming back….

................................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?
You’re a Texan so what is your favorite native wood to work with and what do you do with it?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?
You’re a Texan so what is your favorite native wood to work with and what do you do with it?

Hmm. You must have me confused with that silly short Texan. I'm an East Coast guy. I'd say Yankee, but I'm a Red Sox fan, and my lips would melt if I did. But a favorite native wood to me up here would be Maple. Doesn't matter what species of maple, I love em all....

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Great responses! Enjoyed reading this and getting to know a little bit more about you.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I agree wholeheartedly with Greg, it was a great read!

Hmm. You must have me confused with that silly short Texan. I'm an East Coast guy. I'd say Yankee, but I'm a Red Sox fan, and my lips would melt if I did. But a favorite native wood to me up here would be Maple. Doesn't matter what species of maple, I love em all....

Marc only wishes he was a Texan, like every other non-Texan! :texas:

If you did intend the question for me, hands down it's Mesquite. I love the smell, it works easily and is just a gorgeous wood. Even the "plain" pieces are beautiful!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Great interview!

Really enjoy reading these every month and learning a little more about people I'll probably never meet in person.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Great Read Sarah from another WBarter that lives where everyone wants to be!! Well maybe except during hurricane season. :texas:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Enjoyed reading the Q and A and gives the forum another great personal touch. Thank you for sharing.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@Echoashtoreth , Sarah, that was a great read. Really like your style. I am fortunate to work with and have worked with outstanding women and your answer above really hit close to home. Have seen it, witnessed it, …………just hope and pray I have never been a part of it.

Thank you for sharing; that really was awesome!!! Best wishes.