a little walnut logging...

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
Well described David. I discovered FBE because I was looking for walnut. I quit logging the walnut when I discovered the FBE. But if the walnut market keeps growing like it is I might just quit walking past them to get to the FBE, and start throwing a few of them on the cart too. Turning blanks are definitely hot right now.

That's usually how it works Kevin. You find a jewel when looking for something else. We have a good inventory of Walnut in all sizes of turning and bowl blanks but could use a bit more of good Boxelder. I would pass by smaller Walnut to get to the FBE if they were in the woods as well. LOL.

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
Also the initial thought was too get walnut logs for myself but.. the prices the mills are paying for walnut logs it would be impossible for me to mill them into lumber and make any money at all.

Yes I agree. Our mill included. For large (20"+) 4SC Walnut logs with light sap we are paying between $2 and $5bf but we do not process veneer. Makes if very difficult to make regular lumber from these logs.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
That's usually how it works Kevin. You find a jewel when looking for something else. We have a good inventory of Walnut in all sizes of turning and bowl blanks but could use a bit more of good Boxelder. I would pass by smaller Walnut to get to the FBE if they were in the woods as well. LOL.

I have not forgotten your request David. It's just that I have about 7 pallets in front of you, 2 on the dock, and I am out of logs. Good news is the weather looks good enough for a while I can probably get enough logs in the next 2 harvests to get the pallet orders caught up. Don't give up on me.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Regarding the logging market I need a full time logger and sawyer as it stands, and the Chinese have not yet discovered FBE - just imagine what would happen to my little forest if they did and the market actually corrected to compensate for it the way other markets have due to their pressure. I'd be getting insane money for it. Instant retire kind of money.

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
I have not forgotten your request David. It's just that I have about 7 pallets in front of you, 2 on the dock, and I am out of logs. Good news is the weather looks good enough for a while I can probably get enough logs in the next 2 harvests to get the pallet orders caught up. Don't give up on me.

No problem Kevin. I know you will let me know so no worries.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I visited a veneer mill many years ago. They can make veneer from less than clear wood. It is cut off the log in a endless sheet like unrolling a roll of paper towels so each defect shows up once in each revolution of the log. In the mill I went to a worker put marks each side of the defect and a big shear knife automatically cut on each mark. Other workers sorted and assembled the pieces to be glued and pressed into sheets of plywood, the defective sheets went on the back or were used as filler layers. There is a buy yard near me that buys veneer logs the more defects the lower the price a top grade veneer log will bring a very high price while a lower grade log may not even bring saw log price.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The log buyer that bought these runs a flat cutting machine at his operation, the log is cut in half and the can't is clamped to a sliding apparatus and passes the log past a knife

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
That's called a rotary slicer Dave and you're right they can get stuff between knot holes etc. but my understanding is they pay more than grade for such logs but not much. They have a slang name for logs like that but I can't remember what it is. Those rotary slicers are impressive.