Agate table lamp project

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Thanks Chris (and everyone else who followed along and gave me advice). Both sets of table lamps I built over the summer were fun projects that challenged my skills for sure. I have enough lamps now, have to think of something else.

well duh, new end table or nightstand to put them on. Seems obvious again.

okay, signing off......think Doug will be throwing things at me if I don't.

Thanks for these pics Doug, they show your beautiful work in a different light...pun intended.

Echoashtoreth

Reaction score
First name
Sarah
Hope so. Backlighting those sliced agates was the trigger...and trying to figure out something to do with those gorgeous maple thins. Still trying to decide what's the best way to secure the agate slices in the cutouts. Leaning toward a simple silicon caulk or something like that. Open for suggestions.
I would use epoxy so it is more heat resistant.... add a wire brad or 4 just for safety sake

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would use epoxy so it is more heat resistant.... add a wire brad or 4 just for safety sake
Thanks for chiming in Sarah. I finished these lamps a few weeks ago. I decided to simply put a few small beads of two part epoxy to secure the agate slices in place. I made sure the agate slice was fully seated in the rabbet groove to ensure there wouldn't be a line of light showing around the edge of the cutout. Then I put 6 or 7 half inch long beads of epoxy, roughly equally spaced around the perimeter of the agate, making sure I got glue contact between the agate slice and the wood. I used 5 minute epoxy because bond strength isn't an issue and I wanted the glue to set up quickly so it wouldn't soak into the wood or leak around the agate slice. It worked perfectly. The agate slices are solidly attached, no glue shows anywhere and no light shines around the edges of the agate.

Last edited: