Black Afara (T. ivorensis)

SA-Motors

Member
Full Member
Messages
712
Reaction score
808
Location
Raleigh, NC
First name
Steven
I got this a while ago, sold as black afara (T. Ivorensis). Posting a few pics just to confirm anyone’s opinion. I know these pics are poor because I didn’t take the time to get out the microscope, but thought I’d post anyway.

To my untrained eye, I think they look pretty close to the pics on hobbithouse.
@Big Ry

IMG_0835.webp IMG_0834.webp IMG_0833.webp IMG_0829.webp IMG_0828.webp
 
Looked like Korena / limba at first glanse.

Some of those 'Terminalia' species look identical to the naked eye. I would not have questioned ID based on these pictures.

My T. ivorensis sample is a bit more tan than my limba sample. Grain looks to be the same pattern, just in smaller proportions for T. ivorensis. Implying pores are smaller as well as growth rings. The wood feels a touch more dense for T. ivorensis, however, I did not weigh them, being my samples are slightly differnt sizes.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Hi Mark, thanks for your input. This one came from gilmerwoods. He told me it was the last piece he had from from old stock theyd got decades ago. I’ve never seen them offer it since. I will calculate the density when I get the chance. It looks different than my limba pieces, but again I’m no expert.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
The density is 42.3 lb/ft3. A little bit heavy, maybe right at the top range of T. Ivorensis.
 
Back
Top