Bricks

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I've been experimenting with end grain cutting boards and saw a brick pattern board on YouTube and decided to give it a try. Gotta admit, I don't have many original ideas and YouTube is my go to source. This is padauk and maple for the "mortar", which is also end grain.

photo.JPG

Then I thought, let me try that in a smaller version, because I have also been experimenting with segmented pens. It took me three tries, and this one ain't perfect, but I've decided to call it a success. Again, padauk and maple on a Jr. Statesman.

IMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4101.JPG

Tom

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Now those are awesome....great job. (of course we need to know how you did the pen. :blush-33:)

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Very cool! I would have thought the end-grain of Padauk would appear much darker than that....

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Barry, the pen is long grain so, yes, the red comes through. And the pictures were taken in a light box so it appears much brighter. Maybe I'll try doing a pen end grain.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Very nice! I especially like the pen.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Aha! A light box! I need to make one...

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Mine is pretty basic, Marc. A card board box with 3 holes covered with tissue paper to diffuse the light and a piece of white heavy construction paper for background. I just swap out different color papers for different looks. The hardest part for me is mastering the dang camera. We argue a lot.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Those are nice Tom. I bet you got the brick cutting board idea from MTM Wood - I love his videos. He's the one I learned to make 3D cutting boards from. His videos and work are awesome.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Yes, sir, I surely did, Kevin. He has some amazing things and makes it all look so easy, even those spiral designs that I can't wrap my head around. I'm going to try his Chaotic Pattern board this week.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Yes, sir, I surely did, Kevin. He has some amazing things and makes it all look so easy, even those spiral designs that I can't wrap my head around. I'm going to try his Chaotic Pattern board this week.

Doesn't he have the best music on his videos? I don't even like music in tutorial videos, except his. I like how he allows the machinery to ride over the music, and he usually has short clips of his young twins and wife in the videos. If I ever have the opportunity to go to Russia I'll be sure to invite myself to his shop lol. I have traded emails with him a few times asking questions. He always answers. Really good guy.

Look forward to that chaotic board it looks really involved I watched it when he posted it.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Yeah, enjoy watching the kids sweep up. He's got a heck of a shop set up and some wonderful tools. It's really cool that 2 guys separated by miles and politics can find this as a common ground to trade questions and answers.