Buckeye burl

I second what Chuck said. Most woods that have some figure or interesting grain, like crotch sections where two branches come together, will often get snatched up. Plain, straight grain wood not as often but if it's truly straight and blemish free it often will still get interest. Stuff with cracks, knots, rot, etc have a limited market, mostly to people who either stabilize and / or cast with epoxy. So you're probably going to have to open those logs up to see what's inside. If you really have some old growth redwood that would certainly be worth milling.
 
I have been a member for a while now, folks usually want a few of those... And those... And that over there...
Emphasis on a few. However, the burls, olive wood and a few others will get traction somewhere.
I have personally milled redbud. Was a waste of my time here in TN. If you can get it to mill and dry without cracking, it is beautiful lumber!
 
Some of my favorite wood. But I've heard you have to let it bake out in the heat for a good while to get that good color out of it. If the mayo method works, great…. But that’s a lot of mayo if you are going to slab a 500lb Burl… let alone 10,000lbs of Burl
 
Back
Top