Christmas Tree - Inside Out Ornaments

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Ok, this will be a quick and dirty tutorial that assumes you already know how to do an inside out turning. Because I don't have a decent drawing program on my tablet. I'm including a photo of my notes on how I do this ornament and hope everyone can decipher them with a little info in this thread.

I made these with an integrated top/bottom finial so my blank was 6-8 inches long. Make sure your four pieces are square and the same size, glued up mine were 1 9/16” square. I only glued them on about 1/2” on each end.

Heres the picture of my notes. I'll explain the steps with some pictures.

inside out ornament.jpeg

First, you need to preserve the square ends on both sides so you have something to glue back together after flipping the pieces. Start by rounding about 2" of the blank in the center. You can shift that off center depending on the length you want for a top/ bottom finial. BTW, the trunk of the tree is on the headstock side. Only rough it until it is just barely round. If you cut too much, you will end up with a very wide trunk.

IMG_2345_copy_1728x1296.jpg

Next mark three lines at about 1/2" intervals.

IMG_2346_copy_1728x1296.jpg

Using a parting tool, cut to the diameters listed in my notes. From left to right, 1 1/16”, 1 5/32", 1 1/4".

IMG_2347_copy_1728x1296.jpg

Continued in next post.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At this point, be careful with your cuts, everything you remove will show in the outline after flipping pieces.

Now, remove the material as shown in the next picture. Try to keep the cut as straight as possible, and try not to change the diameter of the points.

IMG_2348_copy_1728x1296.jpg

When flipped, it should look like this.

IMG_2349_copy_1728x1296.jpg

Notice that this tree has a trunk as I rounded the section to the left of the first cut. If you don't want a trunk, your cuts should look like the next picture where the blank is still flat to the left of the first cut with the parting tool.

I should also mention that you need to sand and finish before you flip and reglue the pieces.

IMG_2350_copy_1728x1296.jpg

IMG_2351_copy_1728x1296.jpg

At this point in time, after flipping and glueing the blank back together, it's time to start shaping the ornament. Speed is your friend so crank it up. Stop frequently and check thickness, and especially check on both sides of the tree to make sure you don't cut through.

When you are all done, you will hopefully have something like this.

Christmas tree ornament.jpeg

Practice is your friend on this type of ornament, so don't use your best pieces of wood on your first try. Cut up something cheap to practice on, because you will make mistakes. I'd also recommend taking notes and pictures along the way so you can reproduce nice designs. I still keep a model of this ornament that I never glued back together for final turning to help me visualize the process.

I know there is something I'm leaving out, while typing this second post there was info I wanted to go back and add to the first post, but can't remember what......

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Very innovative and creative. Kind of like when an artist uses shadows to create light and depth.