cottonwood burls

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Anybody ever worked with cottonwood burl? Next week I'm taking down a giant cottonwood that has gigantic burls all over it, a quick Google search yields some nice photos and looks like it should be worth getting. The burls are as big or bigger than my walnut burl I got in the spring

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I've gotten a few locally... Definitely worth getting! All the ones I've seen have been small though.

Treecycle Hardwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Unless you know the burl is rotten it is always worth milling. At the least you get some curly swirly grain! If you get some good eye burl all the better:good2:

SDB777

Reaction score
First name
s
Jimmy.....did you get any cutting off that chunk yet?

Scott (where's the popcorn gif) B

Mike Jones

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Cottonwood that I have turned is a bit stringy and requires the tools to be sharp-sharp. I local guy with a mill took down a monster cottonwood and found beautiful grain colors, browns, reds, purple and yellows along with figure throughout...not just in the burls. I would say that it is well worth the effort to cut it up.

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I'll have the coffee ready in the morning by the time you get back from harvesting that burl. no point in waiting until next week and chancing weather :sarcastic:

Last edited:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hopefully I will get to cut that burl down Monday, working in a different timber now that has a tons of other burls, almost every kind of tree in it has burls, not a very healthy timber, burls about basketball size+ everywhere, going to cut a couple tomorrow

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Used to be a guy set up just outside of town that did chainsaw carvings. All he used was cottonwood logs (pickup full of them). Pretty carvings.

Ray

manbuckwal

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Here's a small piece I have left and I would say definitely get all u can ! Smells a lil funky when u cut it, but Stabilzed pieces turn well for me, n my short turning life that is .
image.jpg

elnino

Reaction score
First name
matt
cottonwood is great for bowls. any part of the trunk will probably be desired. i can contact some locals in the AAW and you would probably be able to sell the blanks or the trunk log that isn't burl....bowl turners will love the little bits of burl/swirl in the cottonwood. I think it is great for coring too....wish i was closer but i can contact some folks that might be local pickups.

elnino

Reaction score
First name
matt
cottonwood.jpg
is this the tree?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l_Ehl-Jcx3g/TQGrI1LXVDI/AAAAAAAAAIg/4EiX34nb5rY/s1600/cottonwood.jpg

simihacker

Reaction score
First name
Bert
image.jpg I like the way Cottonwood turns if it's an old tree with rotten insides it's likely to smell unkind
Here is a natural edge hollow form turned on my trusty Rockwell Delta
And here is a link of the fallen tree I found a while back
At YouTube "Simihacker"

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
A friend cut one just yesterday. Not a burl but a log 42 feet down in a quarry near the Colorado River. We assume a long ago flood victim.

photo copy.JPG