**ENDED**Extreme Fiddleback Maple Pen Blanks

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
I'm in the market for some extreme and tightly figured fiddleback maple to make a few pen blanks. I found this on eBay
[attachment=19559]
and really like it, but it is only half dry and I need something ready to turn.

:help:I'm looking for figure at least this extreme and a light color, and solid, at least 3/4 square and ideally 1". Stabilized or not doesn't matter. It would be ideal if someone who does flat work has some scraps.

It's far easier for me to do buy this outright via Paypal, but I'm willing to work a trade if you prefer.:hookup:

Thanks for reading this.

fiddleback.JPG

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
arkie said:
I'm in the market for some extreme and tightly figured fiddleback maple to make a few pen blanks. I found this on eBay

:help:I'm looking for figure at least this extreme and a light color, and solid, at least 3/4 square and ideally 1". Stabilized or not doesn't matter. It would be ideal if someone who does flat work has some scraps.

It's far easier for me to do buy this outright via Paypal, but I'm willing to work a trade if you prefer.:hookup:

Thanks for reading this.

That picture came out about useless. This should be the ebay picture link. http://i.ebayimg.com/t/AAAA-Curly-Fiddleback-RED-Maple-Lumber-Craft-Art-Knife-Carving-Blank-18-/00/s/MTkzWDY0MA==/z/j5EAAMXQhuVRLQCg/$T2eC16FHJGIE9nnWprOPBRLQCgm40w~~60_3.JPG

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Here it is . .

[attachment=19560]

curly maple.JPG

jaimesummer

Reaction score
First name
jaime
Hi,
Just a comment about trying to use incompletely dry blanks. I have olive trimmings that are almost 10 years old and are still wet when I cut a new log. After cutting to pen blank size, I drill a 1/4" hole, which is much smaller than the required brass tube size. I then microwave gently, say 15 seconds at full power. It gets a little warm. I repeat this a dozen or so times never letting the pen get too hot, at least a few minutes apart. This really dries it out. You can check it if you have a decent balance/scale and repeat until the weight change becomes very small. I mention this because you say a blank is on its way and not completely green. I think if it was really green you might incur some warping depending on the grain orientation. When you align it back up you will find that the 1/4" bit doesn't fit due to a slight shrinking and might have to use 1/64" or 1/32" smaller bit.

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
jaimesummer said:
Hi,
Just a comment about trying to use incompletely dry blanks. I have olive trimmings that are almost 10 years old and are still wet when I cut a new log. After cutting to pen blank size, I drill a 1/4" hole, which is much smaller than the required brass tube size. I then microwave gently, say 15 seconds at full power. It gets a little warm. I repeat this a dozen or so times never letting the pen get too hot, at least a few minutes apart. This really dries it out. You can check it if you have a decent balance/scale and repeat until the weight change becomes very small. I mention this because you say a blank is on its way and not completely green. I think if it was really green you might incur some warping depending on the grain orientation. When you align it back up you will find that the 1/4" bit doesn't fit due to a slight shrinking and might have to use 1/64" or 1/32" smaller bit.

I know this trick, but prefer to avoid it. I'm always leery about how long it needs to sit to be sure it's at EMC after nuking. I have nothing on the way at the moment.

Still looking...:hookup:

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
arkie said:
jaimesummer said:
Hi,

what is the curl per inch required?I have lots of KD fiddleback . I'll check on some

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
pvwoodcrafts said:

what is the curl per inch required?I have lots of KD fiddleback . I'll check on some

I haven't thought in quite those terms, but the more the better. A pen is a much smaller canvas to paint than the back of a violin. I want to make a few pens that will be priced over $100. I gave the eBay listing as an example of the kind of intensity I'm looking for.

stockmaker

Reaction score
First name
bill
[attachment=19637][attachment=19638][attachment=19637]i have stuff like this dont know if the fiddle is tight enough. All been air dried for over 700 days indoors with fans.

SAM_4027.JPG

SAM_4013.JPG

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
stockmaker said:
i have stuff like this dont know if the fiddle is tight enough. All been air dried for over 700 days indoors with fans.

Just to the left of the tape on #18 is great! If you have smaller pieces or scraps like that it would be ideal. If not, give me a price on #18.

stockmaker

Reaction score
First name
bill
arkie said:
stockmaker said:
i have stuff like this dont know if the fiddle is tight enough. All been air dried for over 700 days indoors with fans.

Just to the left of the tape on #18 is great! If you have smaller pieces or scraps like that it would be ideal. If not, give me a price on #18.

#18 to you arkie is 35.00 let me know if that works

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
stockmaker said:
arkie said:
stockmaker said:

Works for me. If you use Paypal, give me the email you used and I'll get it on the way!

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
arkie said:

Thanks for reading this.

Here are a couple pieces off some of my premium Kentucky rifle billets
[attachment=19678]
[attachment=19679]

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
pvwoodcrafts said:
arkie said:

Thanks for reading this.

Here are a couple pieces off some of my premium Kentucky rifle billets

I've got a deal with stockmaker if he sends me an email address for PP. If he doesn't, I'll try to work a deal with you - those look pretty sweet! Thanks!

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
stockmaker said:
arkie said:
stockmaker said:

Sent PP March 3. Did you get it? I haven't heard from you since then.

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
[
[/quote]

Understand that life threw a curveball but the wood is now on the way.

arkie

Reaction score
First name
Jim
arkie said:
[

Understand that life threw a curveball but the wood is now on the way.
[/quote]

Got the wood today, and have to save it was well worth the wait.