finishing eucalyptus

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hi, I have a red eucalyptus box somebody gave me, I am going to finish turn it but I don't know what to use to finish it. i have turned this wood before and the finish darkened it way to dark. I have tried mineral oil and bees wax, shellac, walnut oil and Howards feed and wax they all turn very dark what can I use thanks

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
You might consider no finish. Sand to a high grit and burnish with a handful of shavings. Could buff if you want for a higher sheen and could also use a microcrystalline wax like Renaissance Wax for more sheen.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Water based polyurethane may be an option. It dries clear.

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I used MinWax water based Poly-acrylic on a couple of pieces - it felt like it didn't darken the wood as much as other finishes, but they were oak and maple not eualyptus. There might be adhesion problems if the wood is naturally oily. (Also, I don't know how durable it is compared to the other finishes.)

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
No matter what you do it will darken the wood. The question is just how much. When I want to keep a wood color lighter I will always use sanding sealer and then use deft or watco lacquer spray finish. If you have enough wood, practice using different finishes. If you don't PM me and I can get you some. I have plenty.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for your insight, I sanded and applied some craft varnish, that didn't darken as much guess Ill try polyacrylic. I know that I have used it before