For all you Sellers out there

oregonburls

Reaction score
First name
Greg
:cool:
Tip#1
When I cut wood. I cut mostly in the dimensions of Flat rate boxes or multiples that fit in flat rate boxes. Over the years I have found as many of you have that people like the idea of flat rate and it is eazier on the seller also. No working out shipping.:yipee:

Tip#2
Flat Rate Sizes:

• Large
  • 12x12x5.5
  • 24 x 11+x3
    Medium
  • 11 x 8 x 5.5
  • 13 x 12 x 3 1/8
    Small
  • 8 x 5 x 1.5

I have also found that if you use a medium FRB and you try and sell the 11 x8 x5.5 block of wood, it does not sell as well as a block that is 8x8. I guess it is easier for a turner to see a bowl out of and 8x8 than 11x8 Granted that does not affect box builders but there are more turners out there an box builder. Also with an 8x8 you have lots of extra room for freebies:good:

A small flat rate hold 20 pen blanks that are 3/4 x 5 must be accurate though or it will be tight. or 4 duck call. Just look at the multiples you can fit.

I like the large flat rate because it can handle a nice large bowl blank or 4 6x6s or many other sizes. Seems to be the best value.

Tip #3
Although most of my business is flat rate boxes I still cut for clients that are outside of the flat rate boxes. So far I have found that Fed Ex ground beats everyone and they and UPS can ship up to 150 lbs.

Tip #4
When shipping to Alaska or Hawaii apart from the flat rate boxes USPS parcel post is the best. They say it takes a month to go to Alaska but 2 weeks at most is my experience. USPS is max 70 lbs

any other discussion, corrections, additions?:i_dunno:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
In the large FRB you can get a 6" thick block inside if you first fold the top of the box together and turn it upside-down (don't tape yet), and insert the 12" x 12" x 6" block in the bottom, then tape the bottom together (flaps won't meet but will be on bottom - never had one rejected) then flip over and tape the top together (all flaps will meet nicely) and attach label.

For the LFR game box, unseal it at the seam, insert 24 x 12" wide x 3" thick blank or combination of blanks and tape box back together around the wood. Seal the seam with tape then use USPS priority tape (must get from your post office cannot order on line) or if you aren't in tight with your postmaster just use duct tape to hide the seam since it will not go back together all the way. Never had one rejected. Greg you have a box coming from me that show this and you'll see what I mean. Even if you don't want to break the seam and re-tape you can still use 11 3/4" of this box's width easily.

MFR dimension = 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8 again if your customers demands the full 12" you can use the game box trick on this box too.

I don't use the shoebox size as I think it's a ripoff.

Good tips Greg this is the kind of info we need to remind each other of thanks for the post.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
oregonburls said:
:cool:
Tip#1
When I cut wood. I cut mostly in the dimensions of Flat rate boxes or multiples that fit in flat rate boxes. Over the years I have found as many of you have that people like the idea of flat rate and it is eazier on the seller also. No working out shipping.:yipee:

Tip#2
Flat Rate Sizes:

• Large
  • 12x12x5.5
  • 24 x 11+x3
    Medium
  • 11 x 8 x 5.5
  • 13 x 12 x 3 1/8
    Small
  • 8 x 5 x 1.5

I have also found that if you use a medium FRB and you try and sell the 11 x8 x5.5 block of wood, it does not sell as well as a block that is 8x8. I guess it is easier for a turner to see a bowl out of and 8x8 than 11x8 Granted that does not affect box builders but there are more turners out there an box builder. Also with an 8x8 you have lots of extra room for freebies:good:

A small flat rate hold 20 pen blanks that are 3/4 x 5 must be accurate though or it will be tight. or 4 duck call. Just look at the multiples you can fit.

I like the large flat rate because it can handle a nice large bowl blank or 4 6x6s or many other sizes. Seems to be the best value.

Tip #3
Although most of my business is flat rate boxes I still cut for clients that are outside of the flat rate boxes. So far I have found that Fed Ex ground beats everyone and they and UPS can ship up to 150 lbs.

Tip #4
When shipping to Alaska or Hawaii apart from the flat rate boxes USPS parcel post is the best. They say it takes a month to go to Alaska but 2 weeks at most is my experience. USPS is max 70 lbs

any other discussion, corrections, additions?:i_dunno:

:thanx: for that info, its good to know, really big help :drinks: