Gun Ranges

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I shoot here at home for handgun and some short (less than 200 yards) rifle shooting but I haven't a good place to be able to really stretch the legs of my K31 and some of my other long range platforms and see what I can do with them. Yesterday I was talking with a buddy at the hardware store and we were commiserating about the only gun range local enough to be handy is run by a guy who is a first class, A-1, top notch a-hole. I haven't even gone to it because I know we would clash big time the first time he slapped my ass and told me to fix my posture (that really happened and the guy he hit nearly clocked him). He's ex spec ops (ranger I think) and most spec op guys are not jerks they been there done that but apparently this guy has an ego the size of Montana and is generally disliked by most people he meets. It's a mystery how he stays in business.

So another guy overheard us and asked if we knew about the new range in Leonard, to which we both said "What new range in Leonard?". He told us all about it and how it's really a pretty cool range and they are adding stuff all the time. And that it's run by professionals, but professionals who like to have fun and who are easy to like. My kind of place.

Here it is - it looks like I will be checking it out next weekend hopefully. Do you shoot at a range? What is your experiences at ranges good, bad, indifferent? I have not been to many and not in years, but I have never had a bad experience at one. I guess because I don't go to any known to be run by asshats. :sarcastic:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I haven't been to a range ever. I'd like to though. I just go to my buddies house or his fil farmland which is 200 acres. Lots of room for my mosin nagant. Me happy.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bummer. I just read in their rules that no FMJ ammo is allowed at all. Arg! GP-11 is all I own for my K31 - it's FMJ! I never heard of this rule maybe it's common at gun ranges but I don't remember it being a rule at any other ranges I shot at. Darn now I have to buy more ammo. I just hate that. :sarcastic:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Kevin said:
Bummer. I just read in their rules that no FMJ ammo is allowed at all. Arg! GP-11 is all I own for my K31 - it's FMJ! I never heard of this rule maybe it's common at gun ranges but I don't remember it being a rule at any other ranges I shot at. Darn now I have to buy more ammo. I just hate that. :sarcastic:

Our local field and stream club has a good range 100 & 200 yd rifle with covered shooting benches, 50 yd pistol range, skeet and sporting clays. They are working on a cowboy action range. $40/year buys you a key to the gate and unlimited access to the rifle & pistol ranges. I have never seen anything in the rules about FMJ bullets.
The biggest aggravation is a couple know it all's that seem to hang out all the time. I told them to &%$#off years ago.
I have a 160 yd range at home just a berm and movable bench it bothers my liberal thinking neighbor some, I was here first. :sarcastic: I can't imagine working up hand loads and having to go to the range for testing.

SDB777

Reaction score
First name
s
Typically I go to the 'deer lease' furing the off season. The 'range' is located on the backside, on a road that is posted...I know, I didn't really like that idea too much either. But the road is straight and 1.5miles long with plenty of cleared woods on both sides to see what is coming(which is usually nothing more then crows or pigs).
I've had my .338LM stretched out to 1,250yards, and the .308 and .223 Savages stretched to 1K and 800 respectively. Wish I still had the .338LM(but the cost of reloading just to whack paper wasn't what I'd call fun). The .308 and .223 is more my speed nowadays!

So I guess what I'm saying, sometimes a 'range' doens't need to be a 'range' to have a good day behind your favorite fire stick!

Scott (dog farts stink) B

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Kevin said:

All the ranges here have that rule, one range I went and shot my ranch rifle and I brought along a ton of ammo that I got in trade for putting a rood on my neighbors house, dummy me I loaded czech republic steel cores, the guy asked me to leave said I was putting holes through the catcher and out the back of the building...... now that same range has a rule that you can only shoot they're Female cat load ammo they sell..

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Gary Max said:
Heck around here the range is the back yard.

I have always been able to shoot at home but people keep crowding in from down county it may not last forever. If you have a local shooting club with a range it is a good idea to support them. When I was a kid we lived on the edge of a small village there was a decent size hill about 75 yds behind the house. We would pick up returnable bottles beside the road until we had 50 cents worth, cash them in then go to Bowman's hardware for a box of .22 shorts. We could rest against the corner of the house and shoot targets at the base of the hill. Today old Bowman would be in federal prison and a swat team would surround three 14 year old boys with a gun only a couple hundred yards from the school.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I shoot in my back also as mentioned, but with only 2 acres I can't get the range I want for the long, long guns. I know they don't want FMJ because it dings their plate too much but I can bring my own plates. I sent them a email asking if that's cool - I doubt it but ya never know until you ask.

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
I have a 100 yd. range in my pasture. That's all I need. I sight my .223 Ruger in 4" high at 100 yds. and I'm dead on at 250 yds. Illinois is too flat and too many people to find places to shoot long distances, especially .30 caliber stuff. There are 3 ranges within 40 miles of here. Two are elitist snob rich guy clubs and the other is in such run down shape I might as well stay home and shoot. Gary

[attachment=31045]

DSC05989.JPG