Hello from Maryland

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad to have you join us, Eric. I live very close to you in Southern Chester County, PA. Northern Cecil County actually is only three minutes drive for me. I have some rare wood that you might want to add to your collection so maybe we could meet up sometime.
Landenberg, Pennsylvania is about a 30 minute drive from my house out on the Elk Neck Peninsula. Send list to Do you belong to an AAW Chapter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Welcome. Love the turned boxes. Fine examples of beauty in simplicity.
From where have you acquired most of your woods? Purchased and shipped? Walking around the woods/forests? Stalking arborists?
Retired Army and started collecting wood while traveling. Have about 1600 species, member of the IWCS and trade wood all over the world. Living next to Hearne Hardwood helps. Goal is to make 1,000 different species into the lidded boxes. They are simple in design to show off the wood. Have 200 species done now. Have been working on making bottle stoppers, should have 500 different species done by 2021. Will get back on the boxes after that.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Eric, one rare species that I have is tonna sinensis which has many common names like red toon and Chinese mahogany. Very rare as wood in the USA. I have some 8/4 which you could use for a small lidded box. Is that in your collection? If not, I can send you a chunk if you pay the postage. Am not a member of the collectors society but many others here on WB are.

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Can't PM you yet so I'll slap it here... I'm new myself, but do luthier work, cabinetry and furniture building, and general turning. Some inlay, too.

What all do you have to trade/sell? I'm particularly interested in Rosewoods. I can trade pretty much anything you can imagine for it, should you have some.

Also, my buddy runs a wine shop up in NYC. Saw you do bottle stoppers, could you send a few pics of any you've done in African Blackwood/Ebony? I'd love to show them to him and see if he has any interest. Once you can PM, I'll send you the name of the company. It's a nice one!

Davis
Normally do not sell the wine stoppers as I am still making new species, though have a few hundred duplicates that I should get rid of someday. Attached are the Ebonies that are already done. Have other Ebony's but have not photographed them yet.

IMG_1466.JPG

74_Diospyros_mespiliformis_African-Ebony.JPG

341_Diospyros_ebenum_Ceylon-Ebony.JPG

80_Ebenopsis_ebano_Texas-Ebony.JPG

73_Diospyros_embryopteris_Black-and-White-Ebony-.JPG

205_Diospyros_melanoxylon_Indian-Ebony.JPG

302_Diospyros_crassiflora_Royal-Ebony.JPG

77_Diospyros_virginiana_Persimmon.JPG

Last edited:

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Eric, one rare species that I have is tonna sinensis which has many common names like red toon and Chinese mahogany. Very rare as wood in the USA. I have some 8/4 which you could use for a small lidded box. Is that in your collection? If not, I can send you a chunk if you pay the postage. Am not a member of the collectors society but many others here on WB are.
Do not have tonna sinensis would be interested in a piece 3x3x2 and one 1.5x1.5x2 inches. Would you be interested in some Casuarina cristata. common name is Belah or Au. Black Oak, it is tied with Lignum Vitae as the fourth hardest know wood. 1 3/8 x 1 3/8 by 8 inches. Pictures of two of the pieces I have are attached.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I'll let someone else trade you for the black oak as I don't have a need for it. I'll send you a PM to get your mailing information for the toona sinensis.

davisu

Furniture maker, hobbyist turner, etc. :)
Reaction score
First name
Davis
What species of Rosewood are you interested in? Have over 20 species on hand. What size are you looking for? What are you offering in exchange?
Eric, I have pretty much everything. Quite an extensive collection of turning blanks, cane blanks, you name it. I've got all ebonies, most rosewoods, etc. Lots of Desert Ironwood (uncracked) too. I'm mainly looking for turning blanks and/or bowl blanks, some species of interest include D. mollis, D. purpurascens, and any other interesting exotics. I've got tons of billet wood, so I can saw things up if you wanted to trade. Feel free to PM me with species you want. Beautiful boxes and wine stoppers by the way. Can I forward the photos to my wine buddy in NYC?

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Eric, I have pretty much everything. Quite an extensive collection of turning blanks, cane blanks, you name it. I've got all ebonies, most rosewoods, etc. Lots of Desert Ironwood (uncracked) too. I'm mainly looking for turning blanks and/or bowl blanks, some species of interest include D. mollis, D. purpurascens, and any other interesting exotics. I've got tons of billet wood, so I can saw things up if you wanted to trade. Feel free to PM me with species you want. Beautiful boxes and wine stoppers by the way. Can I forward the photos to my wine buddy in NYC?
Sure, forward pictures to anyone you want. Attached the stopper display racks. Am up to 460 stoppers but have not had the time to get pictures of them all. Could you provide a piece 3x3x3 inches and a piece 1.5x1.5x2 inches of D. mollis, D. purpurascens? Price? Any species you are interested in?

Stoppers_360-365.jpg

Stoppers_1-59.jpg

Stoppers_60-119.jpg

Stoppers_120-179.jpg

Stoppers_180-239.jpg

Stoppers_240-299.jpg

Stoppers_300-359.jpg

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Landenberg, Pennsylvania is about a 30 minute drive from my house out on the Elk Neck Peninsula. Send list to Do you belong to an AAW Chapter?
admin please remove email from post

emails in post are a good way to get a lot of spam from outside this forum
@Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

davisu

Furniture maker, hobbyist turner, etc. :)
Reaction score
First name
Davis
Sure, forward pictures to anyone you want. Attached the stopper display racks. Am up to 460 stoppers but have not had the time to get pictures of them all. Could you provide a piece 3x3x3 inches and a piece 1.5x1.5x2 inches of D. mollis, D. purpurascens? Price? Any species you are interested in?

View attachment 196963

View attachment 196964

View attachment 196965

View attachment 196966

View attachment 196967

View attachment 196968

View attachment 196969
Woah. That's incredible! Beautiful, well-done work. Unfortunately, I don't have the Dalbergia spp. I mentioned--I was hoping you might! I have, quite literally, everything else, save for a Panamanian species. If you have any, in particular, you would like, let me know!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Eric, beautiful stoppers man! I have removed your email from posts, personal contact info is not allowed in the open forum. You should be able to PM not, you have enough posts.

Thanks Trev! @vegas urban lumber