Introduction

conchwood

Reaction score
First name
Douglas
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LoneStar said:
conchwood said:
I need to figure a way to market and ship out of the Keys as I cannot use it all here.
Doug

Well it seems like buying is a bit slow lately, but I think you will find a good market right here on wood barter.
From what I see, USPS flat rate boxes of wood thats above average in color or figure seem to do well here. There are also a few guys who use larger amounts of wood too so you might end up shipping a few pallets out some time :dunno:
I'd say if you dig through your stock for some smaller stuff that is really exciting and figure out how to post some pictures, you will get some good responses.
Dont give up on us if you dont sell a lot right away, like I say it seems to be a bit of a buying slump lately.
This is a great bunch of people and a great place to hang around, but if you stick around I think you will also find a lot of new business here :good:

Ryan,
Thanks, I checked out your site as well, nice work thats something I have not made of wood, guess I never thought of it or had a need being a non smoker.
Are those prepaid shipping boxes the cheapest way to ship?? I believe when I looked it up awhile back it was three boxes for around $45.00.
I have 2 large trash cans of "smaller" cutoffs I've been debating putting out for pickup. Maybe I'll go back through and cull some larger pieces to cut down to fit in a box. I hate for these to end up in landfill which is why I have not put them out yet and if I can make a couple $ off it would be good. Usually these are the knots etc when squaring up a log which often will have some burling etc. My partner is working on carving some bowls out of some of them but there is much more than he has time for plus one of my tree cutter contacts just offered him some part time work which will cut into his time on one hand but also enable him more access to trees comming down. They usually call me when they have good stuff. Anyhow I am trying to find ways to keep this wood out of the waste stream and maybe earn a little while doing it. Up till the recession, I was turning all I could into cabinetry but that has dried up and I then had knee surgery which made things worst for me but hasn't cured the addiction so I'm having to reinvent myself while I wait for the V.A. to upgrade my disability status. I'll let you know if I hear anything on that wood in Mexico. I take it you've worked with the corkwood, It's nice wood to work with once you get used to the smell, I can't imangine smoking tobacco out of it though, seems like it might even be a little toxic or something.
Doug

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
For smaller stuff, the flat rate boxes seem to be a good option because the weight doesnt affect price. Some of the other guys here could tell you more but I think the Large Box is around $15 so 3 for $45 sounds right.
I'd say get some pictures of whatever you have for sale and post it here. Even if its bigger stuff, or wont fit in a flat rate. :good:
We're all a bunch of wood junkys. Even when we're too broke to buy anything, we still love to drool over pictures :cool:

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
conchwood said:
LoneStar said:
conchwood said:
I need to figure a way to market and ship out of the Keys as I cannot use it all here.
Doug

Well it seems like buying is a bit slow lately, but I think you will find a good market right here on wood barter.
From what I see, USPS flat rate boxes of wood thats above average in color or figure seem to do well here. There are also a few guys who use larger amounts of wood too so you might end up shipping a few pallets out some time :dunno:
I'd say if you dig through your stock for some smaller stuff that is really exciting and figure out how to post some pictures, you will get some good responses.
Dont give up on us if you dont sell a lot right away, like I say it seems to be a bit of a buying slump lately.
This is a great bunch of people and a great place to hang around, but if you stick around I think you will also find a lot of new business here :good:

Ryan,
Thanks, I checked out your site as well, nice work thats something I have not made of wood, guess I never thought of it or had a need being a non smoker.
Are those prepaid shipping boxes the cheapest way to ship?? I believe when I looked it up awhile back it was three boxes for around $45.00.
I have 2 large trash cans of "smaller" cutoffs I've been debating putting out for pickup. Maybe I'll go back through and cull some larger pieces to cut down to fit in a box. I hate for these to end up in landfill which is why I have not put them out yet and if I can make a couple $ off it would be good. Usually these are the knots etc when squaring up a log which often will have some burling etc. My partner is working on carving some bowls out of some of them but there is much more than he has time for plus one of my tree cutter contacts just offered him some part time work which will cut into his time on one hand but also enable him more access to trees comming down. They usually call me when they have good stuff. Anyhow I am trying to find ways to keep this wood out of the waste stream and maybe earn a little while doing it. Up till the recession, I was turning all I could into cabinetry but that has dried up and I then had knee surgery which made things worst for me but hasn't cured the addiction so I'm having to reinvent myself while I wait for the V.A. to upgrade my disability status. I'll let you know if I hear anything on that wood in Mexico. I take it you've worked with the corkwood, It's nice wood to work with once you get used to the smell, I can't imangine smoking tobacco out of it though, seems like it might even be a little toxic or something.
Doug
I would like to see some pictures of that "trash" that you are thinking about throwing away. USPS flat rate boxes is most definitely the cheapest way to go. I am also interested in some 12/4 x 10" x 10" blue mahoe. Love the smell of the stuff of course I like the smell of gasoline, xylene, lacquer thinner, acetone, spent gunpowder, etc. (reformed huffer). :davidguil:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
davidgiul said:
.... Love the smell of the stuff of course I like the smell of gasoline, xylene, lacquer thinner, acetone, spent gunpowder, etc. (reformed huffer). :davidguil:

Ah-so kouyuu. This explains everything.