Knot one, butt two

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Friends are already giving me limbs and felled trees to turn and since these four limbs are mostly 5 1/2" to 7" dia (not including bark), I figured I'd cut them as long as they are round and then in half and just practice making saw dust. But two of the pieces I want to save and see what can me made of them as I get my skill up.
Knott One: I saw this beautiful knot and thought it would be a waste to just cut it off. My question is, can I turn it along the axis of the pith and make a vase to save the grain pattern underneath? The top is roughly 6" dia and the base 5 1/4" and I figured I'd cut it double the knot length (5") to make a vase with the grain under the knot being the focus? Your thoughts?
Knot one.JPG
Butt Two: The second piece was cut at a 45 degree angle and I thought it would just be cut off scrap until I saw the grain, wow... What can I do with this to save/accent that? Butt Two.JPG Butt Grain.JPG

I am really looking forward to digging into these.
Thank you for your comments.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Kevin, you almost always want to cut out the pith of the wood. With Mesquite you can get away with leaving it, but 99% of woods it will warp and crack on you.

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Tony is right. One option for the butt might be to make it into a couple of bowls, removing the pith from between them.
Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 6.41.30 PM.png

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin, you almost always want to cut out the pith of the wood. With Mesquite you can get away with leaving it, but 99% of woods it will warp and crack on you.

Good to know! Thank you.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Knot 1. Here is something similar. 20190721_202809.jpg 20190721_202817.jpg Old Mesquite found in the Santa Cruz River in Tucson. The knot was centered pretty close to center. It was mounted with a spur dead center of the knot. Live center at the other side.
Turn a tenon and rough shape. Try to save all the knot with bark. Mount tenon in chuck, and use a Forstner bit that just touches at least one edge of the inside of the knot opening. Try to use the natural opening including bark as the finished opening. Hog out the innards to your liking, and call it a day. I call this one a natural top hollow form.
On the Butt, Duncan has you covered. You mess it up, we'll blame it on him.
What kind of wood is this??................. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)