LFR - game boxes going away?

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
we used to use Fed EX- but they got greedy and are 30% plus higher . UPS is much cheaper.
They are competitive if you stay within the immediate zone- being in NY anywhere out east to NH down to FL and up to MI, their rates are competitive. It changes though when you ship out west. There is this magic number of getting better rates when your package does not go over 22”.

FedEx 2nd day Air several times I have received a discount about 75% from NY origin to NM destination for under 10 pounds originally was close to $ 90ish and the shipping was under $ 22!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
They are competitive if you stay within the immediate zone- being in NY anywhere out east to NH down to FL and up to MI, their rates are competitive. It changes though when you ship out west. There is this magic number of getting better rates when your package does not go over 22”.

FedEx 2nd day Air several times I have received a discount about 75% from NY origin to NM destination for under 10 pounds originally was close to $ 90ish and the shipping was under $ 22!
we have an account and have had it for 10 years+ they consistently are 20% over UPS.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
we have an account and have had it for 10 years+ they consistently are 20% over UPS.
I have had accounts for over 20 years. I use which ever carrier would be more cost effective. I will use FedEx within the vicinity of my region within the east coast, south east and north east- USPS flat rate box would be best if it is heavy. UPS Midwest to west coast. Alaska and Ohio would have to be USPS flat rate box and the best that they gone away with it the game box- otherwise the cost is like paying for international shipping.

You have to know the threshold of the size and weight per carrier to save folks shipping cost- anything over 22” and/or 48” in length will accrue additional handling charges (past 48”) or stupid fees.

Shipping guitars internationally never UPS, FedEx or DHL because of their ridiculous brokerage fees- simply put, most cost effective and has the same time frame of delivery is USPS priority mail international.

Use whatever works for you and whatever is the most cost effective for the recipient.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have had accounts for over 20 years. I use which ever carrier would be more cost effective. I will use FedEx within the vicinity of my region within the east coast, south east and north east- USPS flat rate box would be best if it is heavy. UPS Midwest to west coast. Alaska and Ohio would have to be USPS flat rate box and the best that they gone away with it the game box- otherwise the cost is like paying for international shipping.

You have to know the threshold of the size and weight per carrier to save folks shipping cost- anything over 22” and/or 48” in length will accrue additional handling charges (past 48”) or stupid fees.

Shipping guitars internationally never UPS, FedEx or DHL because of their ridiculous brokerage fees- simply put, most cost effective and has the same time frame of delivery is USPS priority mail international.

Use whatever works for you and whatever is the most cost effective for the recipient.
You must get different deal from FED EX. We find if we are within 500 mils ups is quite a bit cheaper than usps for close to same size. But then again our shipping bill for 2022 was only about $30k. I am sure more volume makes a difference. Our total includes crates which ship for 50 cents to maybe a dollar a lb terminal to terminal. The best bargain out there