Logging- the good old days

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Awful hard work for a few bucks a day. Had a great uncle who joined the CCC in the 1930’s. Traveled around the country building some of the great national parks mostly felling trees to clear land and build the lodges. Worked their tails off for basically room and board. Toughened-up that whole generation (as if they weren’t already) before they went off to fight in WWII. It’s not surprising they did so well in the harshest conditions. Always will be some of my heroes.

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Should have mentioned he (moms uncle) survived the Bataan death march but died in a POW camp before he came home. Still sad when I think about it

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awful hard work for a few bucks a day. Had a great uncle who joined the CCC in the 1930’s. Traveled around the country building some of the great national parks mostly felling trees to clear land and build the lodges. Worked their tails off for basically room and board. Toughened-up that whole generation (as if they weren’t already) before they went off to fight in WWII. It’s not surprising they did so well in the harshest conditions. Always will be some of my heroes.
First time I went to yellowstone in 1960 some of the campgrounds were marked as built by ccc. The one had a wooden tub in ground. Temp was 100 degrees. All built by ccc.

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
First time I went to yellowstone in 1960 some of the campgrounds were marked as built by ccc. The one had a wooden tub in ground. Temp was 100 degrees. All built by ccc.
Yea but @Mike1950 . How much did it change from the first time you saw it and when you went back and they turned it into a park? Was it still a crater?

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Have a state park near me that was built by CCC. My buddy was over programs for a few of the parks around here. They did a display for the CCC and I donated the chestnut barn wood. Had old tools of theirs, pics and info about them. Turned out nice.

IMG_9374.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
He sent me the pics when it was finished. I bitched about the cabinet doors. He said they ran out of wood so I sent more. I got to go by one day and see it in person. Looked A LOT better with everything barn wood

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Respect for those guys. Like has already said, tough generation. I don't think there's many people alive (if any) that could outwork that generation.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Have a state park near me that was built by CCC. My buddy was over programs for a few of the parks around here. They did a display for the CCC and I donated the chestnut barn wood. Had old tools of theirs, pics and info about them. Turned out nice.

View attachment 238228

View attachment 238229
Great display! Glad there is some efforts underway to remember their accomplishments! Chuck