Mexican Cocobolo - How should I Cut This ??

RBcarving

Reaction score
First name
Brad
I received a crate of Mexican Cocobolo today and this batch has a little more grain involvement than what I usually get. Any thoughts on how I should cut these up to get the best "value" out of the grain ?? Pen blanks, bottle stoppers, knife scales ??

They are a solid 1.5" x 12" once surfaced. Any premium on these ?? I normally just turn any figured stuff and sell the straights as pen blanks.
The pic shows the "top" and "right" side of 3 random pieces.

Thanks,
Brad

IMG_7115.JPG

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
You can market 1.5x1.5x12s as-is as duck call blanks. Good figure like that should draw some interest, particularly with the risk that coco could soon be hard to get. Good luck!

RBcarving

Reaction score
First name
Brad
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been debating storing some as an "investment".... I just don't see it going the $$ route of Brazilian anytime soon. I'd probably just forget where I put it and end up buying some to use at the going rate anyway...LOL

Brad

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I wouldn't cut it if you're planning to sell it... It's pretty stuff.

lathemaster

When I was Younger
Reaction score
First name
Michael
DKMD said:
I wouldn't cut it if you're planning to sell it... It's pretty stuff.

I'd like to second the don't cut option. Too often as a turner and woodworker I see great wood offered as pen blanks that I would have purchased if the cutting decision was left up to me. Everything isn't a pen or a duck call. You can always offer to mill to spec if the buyer wants.

My 2 cents .. rant over

Cheers
Mike

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Wait. It is possible to turn wood into something other than a duck call?:wacko1::dash2::wacko1::dash2::fool::fool::fool: I doubt that seriously!

RBcarving

Reaction score
First name
Brad
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Without making this a "for sale" thread....can someone give me an idea of what price I should be at on a 1.5x12" piece ... in a "choose your piece" type setting ??

I looked at the past sales on the Bay and see everything from $8 to $42...that really narrowed it down..:unknown:

Again, Ive never sold any of my rough coco, except for some slim blanks, so I have no idea on the size premium.

Thanks,
Brad

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
RBcarving said:
Without making this a "for sale" thread....can someone give me an idea of what price I should be at on a 1.5x12" piece ... in a "choose your piece" type setting ??

I checked West Penn for an estimate... Their 1.5"sq by 12" cocobolo blanks are $8 each. If the figure is better than average, you could adjust upward from there.