Round 2. I am trying to list this one later in the day for me as I realized lunchtime for me is like 2am for most of you. I had posted this piece for ID on WoodBarter a while back. I believe it is some species of fir, but it is certainly a conifer regardless. It is surprisingly HEAVY and solid. No punkiness or soft spots at all in this piece. Crazy coloration. I like to just stare at it sometimes and wonder how on earth it ended up looking like that.
There was some checking that I soaked in CA glue. There were obvious borer holes on what I am guessing was the sapwood side from before it found its way into the ocean, but the sea salt killed off anything that was there in the past. I tried to get rid of all the borer holes I found on the one side and mostly got them down. I filled what remained of the holes with CA glue. They do not travel noticeably further. I have pictures below unsealed from when I first finished sanding it almost a year ago and pictures from today sealed, in that order. It was sitting on my book shelf and I decided it would be better used by someone. 28x15x10cm on the smaller end. It tapers somewhat wider at the base. Asking 45$ plus shipping for this one. Honestly I’d just as soon keep it, but I’m hoping someone can make something special out of this sexy beast!
There was some checking that I soaked in CA glue. There were obvious borer holes on what I am guessing was the sapwood side from before it found its way into the ocean, but the sea salt killed off anything that was there in the past. I tried to get rid of all the borer holes I found on the one side and mostly got them down. I filled what remained of the holes with CA glue. They do not travel noticeably further. I have pictures below unsealed from when I first finished sanding it almost a year ago and pictures from today sealed, in that order. It was sitting on my book shelf and I decided it would be better used by someone. 28x15x10cm on the smaller end. It tapers somewhat wider at the base. Asking 45$ plus shipping for this one. Honestly I’d just as soon keep it, but I’m hoping someone can make something special out of this sexy beast!