My First Pipe

Twig Man

Reaction score
First name
John
Thought I would try to make a pipe and wanted to combine my love for turkey hunting in the making of the pipe. I used a turkey wingbone as the stem and attached it to some osage orange. Thanks for looking

downsized_0906121954a.jpg

downsized_0906121951.jpg

downsized_0906121949.jpg

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
That didnt take you long !
The amazing thing is you made almost a carbon copy of a very old style of pipe. Trying to find a picture now, I believe its an asian or african pipe I'm thinking of.

jteagle6977

Reaction score
First name
John
See lil brother got you making pipes now too. :rotflmao3: :lolol:
Kool looking pipe though really like the stem on it. John

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
Heres the one I had in mind. Doesnt look just like yours, but I've seen them that do.
http://i1104.Rule #2/albums/h336/axfight/misc/EEE-Afrika-14.jpg

Twig Man

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LoneStar said:
The amazing thing is you made almost a carbon copy of a very old style of pipe. Trying to find a picture now, I believe its an asian or african pipe I'm thinking of.

Wasnt trying to copy anybodys pipe just kind of thought it up. I think it turned out pretty good. should I put any finish on the wood or treat it with anything?

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
Twig Man said:
LoneStar said:

Wasnt trying to copy anybodys pipe just kind of thought it up. I think it turned out pretty good. should I put any finish on the wood or treat it with anything?

I wasnt saying you copied anything, just thought it was interesting you sat down on your own, but ended up making a pipe thats so similar to a 300+ year old style of pipe.
I dont know how to finish Bois Darc, but I know some guys that have made pipes from it. It is safe to smoke for sure. I just finish my pipes by buffing with tripoli and carnauba wax.
Are both pieces of the stem made from turkey bone ?

Twig Man

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LoneStar said:
Twig Man said:
LoneStar said:

I wasnt saying you copied anything, just thought it was interesting you sat down on your own, but ended up making a pipe thats so similar to a 300+ year old style of pipe.
I dont know how to finish Bois Darc, but I know some guys that have made pipes from it. It is safe to smoke for sure. I just finish my pipes by buffing with tripoli and carnauba wax.
Are both pieces of the stem made from turkey bone ?

Yes ryan the stem is made completely of wingbones