Need some Jointer advice

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Haven't been on much lately, life, business needs, a couple health issues, all that keeping me busy.

So I managed to land a large order form a corporate customer and need to add a jointer to my shop again to make it cost effective by shortening the working time since I don;'t want to use a hand plane to make 750 of something (I sold my jointer a year a go to pay bills)

Here is what I need- 6 inch jointer, helical carbide head, fairly robust. Looking for advice on what folks have had/used that will hold up and be a reasonable price for the features. I know it won't be cheap but figured I'd go to this group for advice.

Would consider used if one was within 250 miles or so of SE Minnesota.

Thanks in Advance!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Lots of options- Grizzly - Jet- Pm-shop fox. I do not have shelix on my jointer. Is there a Jet-PM ding and dent close. I bought My PM 20" shelix for less than a Griz. It has scratches.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lots of options- Grizzly - Jet- Pm-shop fox. I do not have shelix on my jointer. Is there a Jet-PM ding and dent close. I bought My PM 20" shelix for less than a Griz. It has scratches.

Unfortunately no scratch and dent near me. First ones I'm looking at are the PM 6 inch and 8 inch machines. Woodcraft has on sale this month. then trying to figure out if going 8 inch with the 220 motor and faster cutterhead is worth another 700.00.......

Now on to research Grizzly.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
probably have to buy new- hard to find used. I am happy with My Grizzly tools- great service. My Jet tools - they have been workhorses and flawless- no nothing about service- never needed

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
probably have to buy new- hard to find used. I am happy with My Grizzly tools- great service. My Jet tools - they have been workhorses and flawless- no nothing about service- never needed

Been reading on the Grizzly, the one thing I notice compared to the PM, fewer cutters in the spiral head and a lower RPM motor. As much as I want to maximize the profit margin on this job I guess I need to look at long term use and what will be the best fit for the buck, looking at the grizzly with shipping, it's about 1600.00 the PM would be 2150.00.

I'm hesitant to go Jet, had a few customer service issues with them on a couple tools.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I've been happy with my Grizzly. I have this one. I bought it new and it's done what I've asked of it just fine thus far without any issues.

I'm really hoping to upgrade to a 12" jointer (of vintage, American made iron) as the majority of my lumber stash I've built up falls into the 8-12"+ wide range. If I had a line on one, mine would be for sale.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
To note - the same company that owns Jet, also owns Powermatic. Not sure if each company handles customer service individually or together. If together, the customer service issues you've had with Jet could also be a potential concern with Powermatic.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
I'm down to either the Grizz or the PM. 36 cutters in the 8 inch Grizz, 54 cutters in the PM. wonder what this means for surface finish on the piece....

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I've been happy with my Grizzly. I have this one. I bought it new and it's done what I've asked of it just fine thus far without any issues.

I'm really hoping to upgrade to a 12" jointer (of vintage, American made iron) as the majority of my lumber stash I've built up falls into the 8-12"+ wide range. If I had a line on one, mine would be for sale.
One on FB that seemed to be decent buy.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Woodworking tools group. I do not remember where. It was a nice green pm. When i get back to computer i can locate

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Nevermind that one. Its cutterhead is crap....
Move along now....

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
If you have a Woodcraft close, that is not buying it online, they might have the PM in their store shop and let you try it. Our store has one and I’ve used it some. I’ve always gotten a good surface with it.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
If you have a Woodcraft close, that is not buying it online, they might have the PM in their store shop and let you try it. Our store has one and I’ve used it some. I’ve always gotten a good surface with it.

I did check that, the one I'm leaning to they don't stock. Currently free shipping on it plus 10% off....

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have a grizz 8" longbed, straight cutter knives that I will at one point upgrade to the helical insert type. It is a good machine, solid, serves me well, I would by it again but with the helical cutter head.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Might be worth a call to Toolnut. I bought my lathe there years ago... free shipping and no sales tax since it was out of state.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
Might be worth a call to Toolnut. I bought my lathe there years ago... free shipping and no sales tax since it was out of state.

I just checked them, I can actually do better at Woodcraft this month by a couple hundred. As far as sales tax, being a business, I can get away without paying it up until I get a sales tax audit and they catch me :sarcastic: Even out of state I have to pay MN sales tax directly to the state if it wasn't collected by the seller.