New guy here!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Welcome from Colorado. Given your question, I used to be a straight-grain, red or white oak type of guy with the exotic being birds-eye maple. Since I started turning and joined wood barter, now I like "ugly" wood......all of those pretty swirling grains, walnut crotch, and of course any burl I can now find. What is really neat is a pen blank is reasonably priced.....and often you can find a small board of something you like and suddenly you have a whole bunch of pen blanks at a very reasonable cost. Matter of fact, you will spend several thousands on boards and save enough for that 14 inch bandsaw!!!!! I will admit, the wife has not bought into this theory.

best wishes, see you online.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome Zack...lots of turners here for sure...they're the ones with cracked faceshields covered in specks of CA glue! (self included)

You're in a great area with lots of clubs...be sure to check club names closest to you using the AAW chapter finder. If I remember correctly, the Adirondack club in Clifton Park is one I visited 5 or 6 years ago when there for business. Good club (they had Doug Fisher there for a 2 day workshop) with a lot of lathes for folks to get handson practice.
Hudson Valley a big area...here's some others .

View attachment 175089

thanks for the link and the map! The club I’m a part of is the one in Kingston. I’ve only been there once so far because of my work schedule. But their an awesome group of guys!

Rich P.

Reaction score
First name
Richard
Welcome from a fellow New Yorker in Saratoga Springs. You will find lots of good information here and answers to questions you may have. There are a lot of members with different woodworking experience and expertise.
Also, look into the Northeast Woodworkers show around the end of March here in Saratoga. You will find several wood vendors selling wood from all over the world. You will only be limited by your wallet.
RichP

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Happy Holidays to you as well and welcome from southeastern Massachusetts. Hope you enjoy the site