New to CNC Router - Just Saying I love it

arianaseamstress

Reaction score
First name
Ariana
I just got access to a Shopbot and am teaching myself to 3D model again (been away for a long time) so I can do more with the router. I am already throwing myself headfirst as I love to watch it work. I am a cosplayer too so I want to use the CNC router to create the positives for molds for my cosplay.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Pretty cool, I had to look up cospaly though, I assume that is a character your playing in your avatar?

arianaseamstress

Reaction score
First name
Ariana
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup - Rainbow Brite. My son and i do some really big builds together. This is his last big build. His next build will require the router for sure - its bigger.

71941804_742870802806707_8254183185856856064_o.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
@justallan has a cnc thing. I think. I could be wrong.

What's the name of the makerspace you go to?

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I just took a look at what's available at the Made thing/place in St. Louis and I'd suggest getting some time on the laser engraver if you are doing costumes and accessories.
I recently bought one and the drawing part of the deal is really simple. Check it out.
I would say for darned sure to take full advantage of anything you can learn at the place.

arianaseamstress

Reaction score
First name
Ariana
I do a lot on it. I just made this little doll bed for my niece. I want to big models that don't fit on the laser - full human sized. I even use the lasers with fabric and cut my small parts, quilting bits, and corsets on them.

83432539_10159727330054199_3253500755365068800_o.jpg

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
It says on the Made site that the Shopbot goes for $5 per hour. Do you get free time on the PC to draw up your projects?

arianaseamstress

Reaction score
First name
Ariana
It says on the Made site that the Shopbot goes for $5 per hour. Do you get free time on the PC to draw up your projects?
Yup - part of membership. I do work a lot on my own computer though as I am bit of a night owl and really obsessive about my files. I am not new to 3D - just a bit rusty. I am just new to the CAM part of it. I am currently between Blender CAM and Fusion 360. They also offer VCarve at the shop.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I use Vcarve Pro and found it really easy to switch to from Smartcam and Mastercam, but I only do flat work on my cnc router right now.
@Tclem on here also has a cnc router and laser engraver. He's a great guy and always willing to help others.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I just got access to a Shopbot and am teaching myself to 3D model again (been away for a long time) so I can do more with the router. I am already throwing myself headfirst as I love to watch it work. I am a cosplayer too so I want to use the CNC router to create the positives for molds for my cosplay.
They are a lot of fun and very easy to become addicted too.

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
I feel the same way Curt, I get in the shop in the morning and want to get busy on mine first, but then other things
also need to be done. I'm using the Shapeoko XL and running V Carve Pro on mine. Love it.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I feel the same way Curt, I get in the shop in the morning and want to get busy on mine first, but then other things
also need to be done. I'm using the Shapeoko XL and running V Carve Pro on mine. Love it.
I have an axiom pro 6. I agree seems like something else always gets in way.