Pining for pine

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
So my wife said, try focusing on getting native samples. She may have meant Pennsylvania but I'm going with North America for now. So looking to buy some pine to make samples (finish at 3"x6"x1/2")....

Looking to get wood to make both a flat sawn sample and 1/4 sawn sample from:

Pinus glabra - Spruce pine / cedar pine (southeast USA)
P. sibirica (often landscape (non-native) - Siberian pine (north of i80)
P. pseudostrobus (all three sub species) - Mexican false white pine / Smooth bark pine (CA and south) var. apulcensis Apulco pine, P. f. protuberans, var. pseudostrobus)
P. flexilis - Limber pine (Sierras and Rockies)
P. contorta (all four sub species) - Shore pine (subsp. contorta) Lodge pole pine(subsp. latifolia) Sierra lodgepole (subsp. murryana) Bolander pine (subsp. bolanderi)
P. ayacahuite - Mexican white pine (southern Mexico)
P. muricata - Bishop pine (California coast)
P. balfouriana - (two sub species) Fox tail pine (California mountains) (var. balfouriana Klamath Mts., var. austrina Sierra Mts.)
P. edulis - Colorado pinyon / Two needle pinyon (the four corner states AZ,CO,UT,NM)
P. attenuata - Knob cone pine (CA, OR)
P. monophylla - (all three sub species) Single leaf Pinyon (var. monophylla UT,NV,CA var. calaforniarum CA and Baja ca, var. fallax UT,AZ,NM)
P. torreyana - (two sub species) Torrey pine (var. torreyana & var. insularis both along CA coast)

Looking to get wood to make a flat sawn sample from:

Pinus radiata - Monterey pine (CA and baja ca)
P. sabiniana - Digger pine (CA)
P. albiculis- White barked pine (Sierras and Rockies)

Looking to get wood to make a 1/4 sawn sample from:

Pinus jeffreyi - Jeffery pine (CA and baja ca)
P. lambertiana - Sugar pine (OR, CA and baja ca)
P. ponderosa - (all four sub species) Ponderosa pine (ssp. ponderosa northern Rockies, ssp. benthamiana OR, CA, ssp. scopulorum east side of the Rockies, ssp. brachyptera the four corner states AZ,CO,UT,NM)

Crazy? Maybe.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
So my wife said, try focusing on getting native samples. She may have meant Pennsylvania but I'm going with North America for now. So looking to buy some pine to make samples (finish at 3"x6"x1/2")....

Looking to get wood to make both a flat sawn sample and 1/4 sawn sample from:

Pinus glabra
P. sibirica (often landscape (non-native)
P. pseudostrobus
P. flexilis
P. contorta (all three sub species)
P. ayacahuite
P. muricata
P. balfouriana
P. edulis
P. attenuata
P. monophylla
P. torreyana

Looking to get wood to make a flat sawn sample from:

Pinus radiata
P. sabiniana
P. albiculis

Looking to get wood to make a 1/4 sawn sample from:

Pinus jeffreyi
P. lambertiana
P. ponderosa

Crazy? Maybe.
Might help to list common name also. A couple are very obvious, but not all. Chuck

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might help to list common name also. A couple are very obvious, but not all. Chuck
Gave it a thought, but decided I did not want to list 50 or more names. Then was thinking if someone knows the Latin binomial, they might know the tree even better than those that just know the common name. If it stands idle, I just might edit the post and add some common names. Thanks for commenting.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Gave it a thought, but decided I did not want to list 50 or more names. Then was thinking if someone knows the Latin binomial, they might know the tree even better than those that just know the common name. If it stands idle, I just might edit the post and add some common names. Thanks for commenting.
I strongly suspect those of us who are interested in the collection likely have the means to get the Latin name of the trees in our locale. The common names for those trees , by far, are red, white, and yellow pine... making it even harder to tell if you got a species that Mr Peet wants

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i've got some slabs from a stump
Trev, I have a single sample taken just over pith but would love to have one that is 1/4 sawn and one the is flat sawn much further away from the pith. Let me know what we can work out when you are settled in.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Growing up in the Deep South we were always surrounded by pine trees. You always knew some would be on the ground after a storm with heavy rains and high winds. Despite this being in the pines makes me comfortable and they are my favorite trees.

Glad to see that the genre is getting some attention.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Growing up in the Deep South we were always surrounded by pine trees. You always knew some would be on the ground after a storm with heavy rains and high winds. Despite this being in the pines makes me comfortable and they are my favorite trees.

Glad to see that the genre is getting some attention.
Is that some of them Pinus Southforkia pines?

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Rare species and extremely costly when found. Always pleasing to the eyes. It features a short season of bloom & happiness followed by long periods of pitchy fits with much pricey maintenance. Final display, with much fanfare is a heated, bright orange burst of light and dark smoke accompanied by a lingering smell of pleasant perfume.

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Rare species and extremely costly when found. Always pleasing to the eyes. It features a short season of bloom & happiness followed by long periods of pitchy fits with much pricey maintenance. Final display, with much fanfare is a heated, bright orange burst of light and dark smoke accompanied by a lingering smell of pleasant perfume.
Now, after wiping the dark-stained coffee spew off'n my screen, I must say that is a quite masterful rejoinder (a real four-bagger!) of a cloud-soft softball setup!

Well done.....Well done.......

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I think you might be thinking of another subspecies native to the area near @Tclem called Pinus Eastforkia, locally known as the Jerry pine, notably identified by what sounds like an english phrase when the wind is blowing at night. If you listen real close you can hear the trees say “Haw! Shoot this thang!”

That Southforkia species is native only around the Dallas area as far as I know.

Last edited: