Public Libraries

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Town nearest us with a decent library is Galesburg. Tonight they held a sneak preview for donors of the new $22 million library which will open to public in a few weeks.

During opening comments they gave a brief history of Galesburg Libraries. The old one (the only one I've known), was actually meant to be a temporary library after the original Carnegie Library burned over 60 years ago.

Prompted me to look up the history of "Carnegie" libraries. I guess if I kind of realized that Andrew Carnegie gave money to open libraries, but didn't realize the scope. Over 46 years, he gave away much of his wealth to build public libraries around the world. 106 of them in Illinois and 1689 of them across the US! Don't mean to wax poetic, but can't think of another person in history that contributed more to society.

Back to "our" new library. It's been in the works for over 20 years. Back then, the state gave a grant to Galesburg to build a new library. Of course, those funds were used for something else and it took the state 15 years to actually distribute the grant. Don't have to tell you that prices increased just a little bit during that time. So Galesburg had money for a library, but was ~ $6 Million away from being able to build it. Not a lot for most cities, but Galesburg is a rural town of only ~35,000 people. Nevertheless, many stepped up, the money was raised, and we have a new library that is spectacular inside and out. Here are a couple of renderings of the library. The landscaping isn't grown yet, but the renderings are exactly what I saw tonight.
Galesburg-Library_South-Entry_redesign-1024x576.jpg

Galesburg-Library_Northeast-Elevation_redesign-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
JD rokefeller and carnegie had a "battle" to see who could give away more money. I think i saw that on the history channel series,the men who made america.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
That looks bigger than the new one they're building here. Redmond has 33,000 people, roughly. I was surprised when they voted to build a new one and then they tore the old one completely down. The front facade I thought for sure they would save. It was built in 1919 or something like that. But the dismantled the entire thing. Has a similar modern design like yours. Supposed to open in August or Sept.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just looked up the size. Old library was 37,000ft² and the new one is 68,000ft². They did a lot of smart things in the new library, but one of the most needed was including a community room that can be rented out with a kitchen. Would probably seat 200 people, and is available after hours with external entries to keep it separate from the main areas.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Ah, 35,000 as a town....grew up with the notion more than 2000 was a city. Guess I'll have to bump those numbers a bit. I can go to 5k, but can't see anything bigger...

Few towns away spent 2 million on a library in 2000. Same building today is more than doubled. That is sad. Good luck with the new place, looks interesting.