Red Oak burl?

419Tomb

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Got a message from a friend to come check out something unusual.
I went out and this is what I found. The log was split into firewood chunks already:cray:
I think this was a burl at one point...
[attachment=8448][attachment=8449]

Im hoping to get some knife scales from whats left.:wacko1:
Tom

DPP_00343451.JPG

DPP_00343452.JPG

tnhunter

Reaction score
First name
chris
I'm not sure if it's burl or not, but it's super, highly figured red oak. Very, very nice wood!!!! It looks like the red oak that I have. Here are a couple of pictures of this material. The first picture is the second cut off the sawmill with bark removed.
Chris

http://i8.Rule #2/albums/a2/hunter2405/003-6.jpghttp://i8.Rule #2/albums/a2/hunter2405/004-9.jpg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
What ever it is It is cool. I am useing some wild grained-Burl? red oak in my box build thread- incredible colors. Good job savin it from the flames........

The_Architect_23

Wood Nut
Reaction score
First name
Andy
[attachment=8463]
i just cut up some oak that i came to the same conclusion.
however it was a log. i think it may be a particular type of oak that grows like that, because i have crazy grain and the sap wood to cambium looks like that, def not a burl i was cutting. good score either way, especially because yours isnt cracked to H#)). Mine will need stabilizing....

1.jpg

419Tomb

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I showed these pieces to a guy I work with. He said this is a tree scab. When the tree was damaged it scabs over as quickly as possible, which makes for the wild grain.
This was just below the bark so maybe so...
Tom

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
West River WoodWorks said:
I showed these pieces to a guy I work with. He said this is a tree scab. When the tree was damaged it scabs over as quickly as possible, which makes for the wild grain.
This was just below the bark so maybe so...
Tom

Thanks for the update it had me curious. Looks like we need to start torturing and scalping some trees. Just imagine 1/4 sawn spalted sycamore with that pattern mixed in.

:irishjig: