S&W Model 459

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Just wondering what a set of grips would cost for this if I supplied the wood. My daughter loves this gun and I may give it to her one day. I don't really like it that good and I really hate the plastic grips. And I'd like input on what wood y'all would use if it was yours.

IMG_20180411_154058538.jpg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also thought about having it done in Cerakote or done in the new Kryptek.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Some interesting grips on E-Bay to fit it... Love the laser engraved Checkering with big S&W Logo down the page a bit.
But, the laser engraved skull is also very cool.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Yeah, I know you wanted to carve them yourself, but... I've been both directions down that road.

Bought a Virginia Dragoon 44 mag back in 1980, before the internet and being able to find anything and everything you could possibly imagine. Gun was notorious for rolling up in my hand when shot; carved a set of grips for it out of a piece Red Oak firewood. Was a terrific improvement.

Opposite respect, put a set of Pachmayr half rubber grips on my 1911; I can't imagine a more perfect grip on that one fit, finish, and function on those are simply too sweet.

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Just wondering what a set of grips would cost for this if I supplied the wood. My daughter loves this gun and I may give it to her one day. I don't really like it that good and I really hate the plastic grips. And I'd like input on what wood y'all would use if it was yours.

View attachment 156713
Hey Eric, something dark if you're gonna keep that bright finish. Walnut, cocobolo, etc.

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
You said you did not like the gun very much but wanted to keep it maybe give it to your daughter one day.
I suggest the grips should be made from your favorite wood. - even if it needs to be stabilized-
You will have a new appreciation for your pistol with your favorite wood on it and your daughter will love it even more.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My favorite wood? I'd have to say walnut. There's a bunch of pretty woods out there but I've always liked it. I'm keeping an eye out around where I live for walnut burls.