Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Morning All,

Today, I've moved the site over to it's own server. Everything is working as before, and I'm not seeing any issues so far.

The server is now located in Ashburn, Virginia, so hopefully you all see a slight improvement in response times, as it's one of the best connected DC's in the US.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
I worked for 5 years straight wiring up those types of places. Talk about energy hogs.
They had to upgrade the high tension power lines feeding that area.
It used to be sheep farms years ago. Now it's computer farms.
:yipee:

Last edited:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Since Ashburn is only 10 minutes from me I'm hoping I get first dibs on all the goodies that get posted for sale!

Thanks for the time and effort you put in Matt to keep things running smoothly!!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
One thing: if you stored a bookmark with the old link, it won't find the old site, you'll have to google "WoodBarter", it'll take you to the new server site, and then you can copy and re-save the link as a bookmark again. At least, that's what I had to do this morning.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
One thing: if you stored a bookmark with the old link, it won't find the old site, you'll have to google "WoodBarter", it'll take you to the new server site, and then you can copy and re-save the link as a bookmark again. At least, that's what I had to do this morning.
Ugh! I have about 90 Bookmarks! Chuck

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That shouldn't be the case, nothing has changed with how the URLs for the site work. What bookmark did you have that didn't work?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
That shouldn't be the case, nothing has changed with how the URLs for the site work. What bookmark did you have that didn't work?
Sorry, Matt, I already deleted the old one. But yesterday morning when I clicked on my old bookmark, I got an Error 404 message saying the location couldn't be found. I tried it a few times as sometimes I think our provider's server out here is sketchy but got the same error message each time. So I googled Wood Barter, clicked on the search link and the WB home page opened right up. So I copied and saved that link, and replaced my old one. That new bookmark worked fine this morning.

It may very well have been something on this end, and not your server move that caused it. I'm not computer savvy enough to know any more.

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The URL structure for the site hasn't changed in years. Anything you found from Google search would work exactly the same as going direct to the site.

DNS is handled by Cloudflare, who also proxy the requests to the server, so to all intents and purposes, the actual connection you make hasn't changed, it's just the back end which has (because it's on a new server).