Shellac question

aag562

Reaction score
First name
Anthony
I made a 1 pound shellac and I used 199% alcohol and it just seems that its drying to fast can I fix it and what can I use to fix it.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Hi Anthony, I am a relative newb with shellac, and I have no experience with trying to slow down the drying, but I have read that a bit of turpentine will help. I also found this;

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Hi Anthony, I am a relative newb with shellac, and I have no experience with trying to slow down the drying, but I have read that a bit of turpentine will help. I also found this;
Barry,

How goes your shellacing? Sounds Irish. Hey, that bag of brown shellac flakes is still sitting on my desk 2 years later. Could I send it your way as a deposit toward a few 'Desert Iron wood' samples?

I have a single sample, cut over pith, that is jet black. I'd like to add a 1/4 sawn sample and a flatsawn sample to the reference collection. It would be great to see a sample with two tone brown & black as well as sapwood in one of them. Think we could do something?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Barry,

How goes your shellacing? Sounds Irish. Hey, that bag of brown shellac flakes is still sitting on my desk 2 years later. Could I send it your way as a deposit toward a few 'Desert Iron wood' samples?

I have a single sample, cut over pith, that is jet black. I'd like to add a 1/4 sawn sample and a flatsawn sample to the reference collection. It would be great to see a sample with two tone brown & black as well as sapwood in one of them. Think we could do something?
I'm open to that, Let me see what I have got....,