Small granberg! Lake City

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Well, if it makes it through tomorrow I'll go grab it Saturday. Don't foresee any free time tomorrow to go after it.

Old man is driving me friggin nuts telling me I need to get bees to the one blueberry farm, when we had everything that was blooming more than covered last week, and about 90% of the damn things didn't have a hint of a bud on them. The farm 5 miles down the road, that I was just on 2 days ago, still doesn't have any bloom on it. He's on the verge of hearing all about my ass, because I did NOT promise the people bees we didn't have, and now I am supposed to perform friggin miracles when the weather isn't cooperating to try and meet contracts that he took, KNOWING we didn't have the bees to cover them. Haven't had a day off in 3 weeks, and he tells the man, "He'll be there Saturday morning with more bees", that I don't have ready to ship, because we were fighting 2 1/2 days this week that were too damn cold to dig in the bees.

Excuse me while I vent! Had to listen to another rash of sh1t this evening about how Huckleberries that weren't blooming last week along the highway, are all in bloom today. I'm going to take lots of pictures of stalks with no bloom on them Saturday, come home, print them out and go paste them on his friggin office wall for him to look at!

Last edited:

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol...not really :cool:

Around $130 new...I'd try to work something with him, but I've got 1 too many of the darn things now!

I got just 1

Last edited:

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
He finally checked his e-mail this evening and got back to me. Still has it, and he's going to give me a call in the morning.

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
That's a dang good deal!

He probably got tired of burning saws up too :scare3:

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Sounded really redneck... Backwoods sorta feeler, if you know what I mean.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I was thinking it would be handy for sawing bowl blanks if nothing else. Buddy has a mill, if I need anything big milled just load it up and haul it 3 miles down the road, but this would be sweet to have around for knocking out bigger blanks.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Well first I gotta say... Never estimate a feller by the way he sounds on the phone! Actually a very saintly old gentleman, both in the figurative and literal sense. Turned out to be a pastor! Elderly gentleman, guessing mid-70s, lived behind the church.

Called him up, got his address, and told him I was on the way. Said to call when I got there, he had a gate out front. He was standing in the yard, and hit the button to open the gate when I pulled in. Had the mill sitting on the porch rail, I got out and said it appeared I was in the right place. It was just as pictured honestly, looked barely used. In fact, if he'd cleaned the dust off it, and polished it up a bit, you might believe it was brand new. He said it worked just like it was supposed to, had no problems with it at all, just a bit much for him in his old age; but that I looked like I was definitely man enough to put it through it's paces. Told him I had a friend that just bought a new mill last year, and I had no intentions of making a bunch of lumber with it, that I had a wood lathe and wanted it to saw bowl blanks out of select small pieces. That I understood they were a wee bit of work. He laughed and said, "That they are! Those shows with those folks in the Alaskan Wilderness that use those to build their homes; I'm not so sure about that! It would take 6 months to saw out the siding alone."

He pointed to the porch on the house and said he'd used it to square the edges on pressure treated fence posts to build the porch rail. (I'm not to sure that isn't all he used it for, from the looks of it, because it is absolutely spotless.) We got to talking about wood working, he said he had a lathe at one time, and had sold it, didn't know where all his tools went, guessed the kids had carted them off. Must have had $500 worth of tools to go along with the lathe.

I looked the mill over, he pointed out how it all worked, I asked how much he had to have for it, and he said, "Oh... $20!"

I said, "Are you sure? Your ad said $25, but I don't have a 5 in my pocket, if you have change I'll more than gladly give you that for it."

He said, "That's not necessary; $20 is fine."

Happened to have a case of honey in the Durango, so I asked if he ate honey. And, he said he sure did. Dug in the box and grabbed a large squeeze bear of Gallberry and Orange. Handed it to him, he got a big smile on his face, and asked me how much he owed me. :unknown:

I said, "Absolutely nothing! I have a real good idea what that mill is worth, and I certainly appreciate it."

Then he asked if I read books. Told him I do on occasion, and he walked to his pickup and dug out a signed copy of a book he had written, titled " Another Day In The Life Of A Soldier " by Ron Childs. It's a story about a Vietnam Vet who was suffering from PTSD, and how Jesus had converted him and called him to serve the Lord. Available on Amazon at the above link, should any of you be interested in picking up a copy.

Was really kind of a cool experience, and well worth the 40 minute trip down there. Drive back and forth past his place all the time, pollinate water melons down there in that neck of the woods May/June, and pollinate a small Squash patch down there in the fall. Just hauled bees back from down there weekend before last.

At any rate, I am now the proud owner of a Granberg G777 mill, for a ridiculously affordable price.

Thanks for the heads up Wayne! :good2:

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
COOL story!

Oh, no problem....you'll cuss me later :hi: