Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Has anyone else noticed that it's getting Harder harder to find solvents for use in finishing here in Michigan. First it was mineral spirits, now the only thing I can get is low odor mineral spirits and its not quite the same as good old fashioned mineral spirits.
Now it seems to be happening to turpentine, when I do find it it's like $12 a quart. Amazon is even higher. I found a gallon at my local mom and pop hardware store for $28 and I grabbed it.
I use the turps to make a furniture finish and to thin blo for the first couple of coats.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Has anyone else noticed that it's getting Harder harder to find solvents for use in finishing here in Michigan. First it was mineral spirits, now the only thing I can get is low odor mineral spirits and its not quite the same as good old fashioned mineral spirits.
Now it seems to be happening to turpentine, when I do find it it's like $12 a quart. Amazon is even higher. I found a gallon at my local mom and pop hardware store for $28 and I grabbed it.
I use the turps to make a furniture finish and to thin blo for the first couple of coats.
Haven’t looked recently, but a couple of years ago I bought some of that low odor mineral spirits and it didn’t work like the old stuff! Low odor with low results! Why can’t they just leave well enough alone! Chuck

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
Same way here. I can't even get naphtha here anymore. I have to get it in Va.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Don't see the options we used to have, but stopped using MS years ago, and just use naphtha which I can still get. What stores do you have in your area. Menards still has a good selection here, Lowes less of a selection.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't see the options we used to have, but stopped using MS years ago, and just use naphtha which I can still get. What stores do you have in your area. Menards still has a good selection here, Lowes less of a selection.
I've got all the big box stores near me, but the little hardware stores seem to have what the big box stores don't. Mom and pop hardware stores are making a comeback.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
A lot of places are choosing to avoid trying to deal with all the "health and environmental" regulations by simply not stocking solvents.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
On a similar note, I am finding white gas (coleman fuel) getting harder to come by or stupidly expensive (15 to 20 a gallon in some places) I'm actually converting some lanterns to run kerosene or using regular gasoline but then have to clean generators more often plus long term fuel storage isn't as good.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
For sure the good stuff is getting expensive and hard to find.