Something New

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Had these in various stages of completion. Finally got them finished.
1 Dyed box elder burl, persion blade
2 Amber stag jigged bone, bird and trout blade
3 California buckeye burl, small skinner blade
4 Amboyna burl and ebony gabon, modern skinner blade
5 Same as above
6Sambar stag, Big clip point blade
7 Sambar stag, Modern skinner with filework
8 Persion again, to make Kevin drool!
9 Chittum burl, bird and trout blade

DSCN1182.JPG

DSCN1185.JPG

DSCN1189.JPG

DSCN1191.JPG

DSCN1192.JPG

DSCN1196.JPG

DSCN1201.JPG

DSCN1181.JPG

DSCN1175.JPG

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
All masterpieces! I think my favorite is #7. I like the style. That shape of handle feels so good in my hand, very ergonomic...

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
WOW! All amazing knives - but that Chittum Burl one really steals the show for me - wish I had the resources to give it a new home!

Molokai

Knife Maker
Reaction score
First name
Tomislav
Looks like you have been busy. Amazing work. How that filework looks from above on number six?

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Beautiful, Robert. The amboyna (4&5) and chittum handled knives are my favorites, but they are all stunning!

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Lots 'o WOW going on there Robert! I keep pouring over each one to learn from. I really like the blade design of the modern skinners. The one with the Sambar Stag wins for me. That layered guard on the Persian really stands out and speaks to the care and craftsmanship that went into it. The guard on #4 was clearly formed along with the wood. Dealing with 2 complete different hardnesses like those and getting that clean of a form and transitions nods to a master.:good2: Just incredible

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lots 'o WOW going on there Robert! I keep pouring over each one to learn from. I really like the blade design of the modern skinners. The one with the Sambar Stag wins for me. That layered guard on the Persian really stands out and speaks to the care and craftsmanship that went into it. The guard on #4 was clearly formed along with the wood. Dealing with 2 complete different hardnesses like those and getting that clean of a form and transitions nods to a master.:good2: Just incredible
It's hard to find just the right piece of stag for blade. It's almost easier to make the blade for the piece of stag. Funny about the Persian blade, it was a reject because of a problem. Looked at it one day and saw the Persian in it so I reground it. The amboyna and ebony scales were made by using a milling bit on my small milling machine to get the square corner and square ends then I used a fly cutter to mill the ebony down for the amboyna. Am always tinkering and the other day I made a 1/8" Id. coupling out of brass. Then I took a 1/8" long shaft,long cut milling bit and the shaft of a broke milling bit and silver soldered them together using the coupling. I put that in my Fordom tool, drilled a pilot hole in a block of wood wood for a knife. That thing slotted that hole for the tang like it was on steroids.