Surface stone

Ianmorrow

Reaction score
First name
Ian
I am looking for a surface stone for flat sanding small jewelry sized pieces of wood. I have seen them available from Woodcraft and Rockler, but they seem to be slightly overpriced. I am also looking around at some countertop suppliers here in North Texas to see whether they have any granite cut offs or scraps.

Any suggestions, or recommendations?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
When did they move Austin to north Texas? :i_dunno:

I wish they would - I like that town. A lot of Texans don't but I love it there.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Glass or stone tiles covered with sandpaper should work... Spray adhesive is a good way to fix the sandpaper to the surface. You can probably find broken or discontinued tiles pretty cheap at any place that carries them( big box stores or flooring/counter shops). Any glass shop is likely to have some broken merchandise or could cut you a few pieces sized to your sandpaper of choice.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Ianmorrow said:
I am looking for a surface stone for flat sanding small jewelry sized pieces of wood. I have seen them available from Woodcraft and Rockler, but they seem to be slightly overpriced. I am also looking around at some countertop suppliers here in North Texas to see whether they have any granite cut offs or scraps.

:hi2: I agree, glass is a great item if youre looking for flat. Just apply a bit of glue, put the paper on and you are good to go. I use a good sized piece of glass and have different grits on at the same time. Paper gets tired, scrape it off put on a fresh piece and youre good to go. Works great for finishing a sharp edge too

ButchC

Reaction score
First name
Butch
I found a nice piece of 20X30 granite at Habitat for Humanity for $7. I can fit several different grits at the same time. Architectural salvage places are a good source also.

Butch

Ianmorrow

Reaction score
First name
Ian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Ianmorrow said:
I am also looking around at some countertop suppliers here in North Texas to see whether they have any granite cut offs or scraps.

They should have plenty. They cut out the area for sinks. I have one of them I got from a buddy. If you put your name and number on a card and give it to them, they can call ya to come get the cut out. They won't hold it for ever so be timely. Not to mention, you should offer a monetary gift ($$), or something you have made as a token of appreciation.

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Ianmorrow said:

Ian,
Do check with granite countertop installers and you will find what you need they have a lot of small leftovers.
Jim R

Ianmorrow

Reaction score
First name
Ian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After I went around to some local installers and talked to them about scraps, I decided that it would just be worth my time and money to invest in a nice surface plate. So I went ahead and bought a 9x12x2 grade B surface plate. It works great!

Thanks again for all the help, now I know where to get granite if I ever need it.