Sweet gum black staining on heartwood

shanghaipete

Reaction score
First name
Trent
I received a few logs of fresh cut Sweet Gum (that's what I was told) with what looks like black stain on the heartwood. As the logs were smaller with less heartwood the black disappeared. It seems to be solid. Any idea what causes this?

tempImageS8umYi.jpg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Nice find. The darker heartwood is sometimes called poor man’s walnut, but it can be prettier than walnut and turns smoothly in my opinion. Consider cutting into turning blanks soon so it can start drying, and spray ends with some bleach water if that black concerns you.

shanghaipete

Reaction score
First name
Trent
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice find. The darker heartwood is sometimes called poor man’s walnut, but it can be prettier than walnut and turns smoothly in my opinion. Consider cutting into turning blanks soon so it can start drying, and spray ends with some bleach water if that black concerns you.
Interesting! I also have a crotch piece with the same dark heartwood. Just sealed the ends with anchor seal and can't wait to turn it.

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
I don't know why that happens. But I love turning Sweetgum. Have fun with it.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Fungal staining and infection play a hand. See 'Sweet gum' all over Maryland like that. It often fades out to a greenish grey similar to false ambrosia of soft maple. "Red gum" was the name that was used commonly in the 1980's for it. Still often sold as such.