the art of packing an overly stuffed flat rate box

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
From time to time I need to stuff 6 board feet of wood into a 5.5 board feet box. Mainly 6x6x3 and 3x3x12 blanks, the game board box is only 11 1/2" wide so its too narrow to stuff 12" worth of blanks in it so I use the large and tape the top of the box first and flip it over and stuff the bottom, I usually have to cut one of the corners of the box to get everything nestled into it and then tape the corner and then fold the flaps the best I can on the bottom and then flip it over and put your label on it, ivebdone this 2 times now without problems, has anybody else done this? Surely there has to be others out there that have done this, has anybody had problems with these overly stuffed boxes?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
The only problem I had is trying to fit it all back in if I have forgot to take pix of the contents....but...if it fits...it ships. :)

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Lately it has been -get 2 6.5" x 2 1/8" pieces in a game box. The boxes do not like it. It is what white duct tape is for. :yipee::yipee::yipee:
My post office won't take them but the PO in the store 6 blocks away does.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang I can't even visualize what that game box would look like when your done lol

healeydays

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I've had some real ugly "flat rate" boxes shipped to me and I am shocked the PO lets folks mail them without a penalty.

Mike B

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
healeydays said:
I've had some real ugly "flat rate" boxes shipped to me and I am shocked the PO lets folks mail them without a penalty.

Mike B

Just making sure they stay on their toes and get my monies worth. Also - They have penalties???????

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
From another thread:

Kevin said:
In the large FRB you can get a 6" thick block inside if you first fold the top of the box together and turn it upside-down (don't tape yet), and insert the 12" x 12" x 6" block in the bottom, then tape the bottom together (flaps won't meet but will be on bottom - never had one rejected) then flip over and tape the top together (all flaps will meet nicely) and attach label.

For the LFR game box, unseal it at the seam, insert 24 x 12" wide x 3" thick blank or combination of blanks and tape box back together around the wood. Seal the seam with tape then use USPS priority tape (must get from your post office cannot order on line) or if you aren't in tight with your postmaster just use duct tape to hide the seam since it will not go back together all the way. Never had one rejected. Greg you have a box coming from me that show this and you'll see what I mean. Even if you don't want to break the seam and re-tape you can still use 11 3/4" of this box's width easily.

MFR dimension = 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8 again if your customers demands the full 12" you can use the game box trick on this box too.

I don't use the shoebox size as I think it's a ripoff.

Good tips Greg this is the kind of info we need to remind each other of thanks for the post.