Vacuum and pressure

John Mikulski

Reaction score
First name
John
I had a gallon of alcohol on the shelf and thought I would experiment last night:

1. Mixed a quart of 200 proof Indiana made denatured "biofuel" with about 1oz of dye.
2. Selected a few tasty pieces of dried burl and dunked them
3. Pulled full vacuum for about an hour (bubbles go away quick since its so thin), released, and then pulled again and its sitting.

Planning to bake when I get home after work and cut one open and then double dye the other.

I don't know what I'm hoping for, but maybe the color saturation will be diff, maybe it will cut the soak times way down, and then I can stabilize normally to lock everything in.

Its also very possible colors will be muted, and the double dye will blend together, or I've ruined my vacuum oil (was about to change it anyway)

Either way, sounded interesting last night.. I'll share results soon if interested?

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I had a gallon of alcohol on the shelf and thought I would experiment last night:

1. Mixed a quart of 200 proof Indiana made denatured "biofuel" with about 1oz of dye.
3. Pulled full vacuum for about an hour (bubbles go away quick since its so thin), released, and then pulled again and its sitting.

Planning to bake when I get home after work and cut one open and then double dye the other.

I don't know what I'm hoping for, but maybe the color saturation will be diff, maybe it will cut the soak times way down, and then I can stabilize normally to lock everything in.

Its also very possible colors will be muted, and the double dye will blend together, or I've ruined my vacuum oil (was about to change it anyway)

Either way, sounded interesting last night.. I'll share results soon if interested?

Just a word of warning... you are creating a good chance of blowing yourself up pulling that alcohol under vacuum.

People are doing similar things with pot and flammable materials under vacuum and making things go boom trying to make reefer oil.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
You are also creating a bomb in attempting to bake that off... allow it to air dry. Concenteated alcohol vapor inside the toaster oven isn't going to take much to detonate and blow the garage off the end of the house. Element in the oven cycling would likely be enough.

John Mikulski

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks for the concern and warning. I’m the maintenance manager at a bio refinery and play with this stuff daily and am taking precautions.. probably should have led with that.

Igor

Reaction score
First name
Igor
I ask you to pay attention to the fact that different alcohols react differently with dyes

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Thanks for the concern and warning. I’m the maintenance manager at a bio refinery and play with this stuff daily and am taking precautions.. probably should have led with that.

OK... Long as you know what you're doing when you blow yourself up! explosion.gif

John Mikulski

Reaction score
First name
John
I can admit when I'm wrong..

I didn't bake the pieces. I pulled them out of the soak yesterday, however after air drying I cut one open and wasn't impressed.

The juice just isn't worth the squeeze, risk/reward alarms are sounding so I'll just stick to the tried and true method .. = patience.

1.png

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I can admit when I'm wrong..

I didn't bake the pieces. I pulled them out of the soak yesterday, however after air drying I cut one open and wasn't impressed.

The juice just isn't worth the squeeze, risk/reward alarms are sounding so I'll just stick to the tried and true method .. = patience.

View attachment 154678
You are a lot smarter than I originally thought. :good2:

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I dyed oatmeal like that, then let it set out and air dry. Turned out OK, turned OK too, except I anticipated it soaking up the resin when I poured it to some extent, and it really didn't. Kinda difficult to wet sand... It turns to oatmeal! :whatever:

Daroc

Reaction score
First name
Jeff

WAIT I seen this before it never ends well for the Coyote....