wet sanding

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Anyone use citrus cleaner for wet sanding? If not, what do you typically use to wet sand?

Steve Walker

Expert Lurker
Reaction score
First name
Steve
I'm sure that it probably depends on what type of finish you are using. I mainly use an oil blend finish (Antique Oil, Formby's Tung Oil, or Danish Oil) . I do a flood coat first time over, let it sit for a while and wipe it down. Come back the next day and do a heavy wipe on coat, let it sit and wipe down. Third day I will wet sand @800 grit with the same oil blend, and wipe down immediately, and let dry. If I'm staying matte, I'm done, if semi gloss or gloss, add more light wipe ons and let dry then buff.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
On darker woods I use danish oil or tung oil...I have used a citrus oil mixed with bees wax getting similar results.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
If I'm using an oiled finish I'll use the finish as my lubricant while wet sanding, If I've built up a good build of poly I'll use a spray bottle with a little water and just be careful not to sand all the way through my finish.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It sounds like you wet sand the final coats instead of all the grits?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Water works well for wet sanding before finishing, but you'll have to do a final hand sanding once it fully dries.

It seems like most recommend using the final finish for wet sanding, but I haven't ever tried it with any of the oil blends or urethane finishes. I've used walnut oil and/or paste wax for wet sanding on a few utility items with good success.