X2 but different outcome

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Full Member
Messages
11,253
Reaction score
27,974
Location
Nashville, TN
First name
Mike
Did I learn anything? I put another piece of that same wood that broke off the toolrest in my previous post. It exploded as the other did. However, this time instead of flying off into the yard, one chunk flew up into my nose. ill spare you the gory details and photos but I can report that the reports of the ER catscan of my head confirmed that that there was nothing there but a lifetime supply of morning snot.

The piece was 6" x 6" x10" of Lowes/Depotwood . it was between centers. Had some drying cracks in the center, but nothing great big.. Was roughing it round, no catch was involved. I would guess it split a!ong one of the cracks and split apart, especially after removing some of the exterior wood.

I guess that I won't be putting anything much bigger than a pen blank on the Jet from now on.
 
Yikes - that's a tough lesson.

Please, in future wear a face shield - I have the Uvex Bionic, under $40 from Amazon. It has a frame that keeps the bottom of the shield from flattening against your face when anything hits it (unlike the open-at-the-bottom type, which slows the missile but doesn't keep it from hurting you). It will keep fragments of a pen blank from cutting up your face too.
 
Glad you survived the frontal assault.

I understand why Mr Raffan almost always cuts splits out of his blanks. I’ve adopted his view that life is too short to turn crappy wood. At least I think it was him. Following his lead does increase the size of the burn pile but I think it’s a lot safer and personally I don’t like my pieces to have imperfections in the wood. I introduce those all by myself. 🤣
 
Ow. A speedy recovery from me. The only turning I ever did was with perfect instrument grade wood. Also, on a metal lathe. They are somewhat safer as the tool doesn’t change angle or such while the lathe is spinning.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Yikes - that's a tough lesson.

Please, in future wear a face shield - I have the Uvex Bionic, under $40 from Amazon. It has a frame that keeps the bottom of the shield from flattening against your face when anything hits it (unlike the open-at-the-bottom type, which slows the missile but doesn't keep it from hurting you). It will keep fragments of a pen blank from cutting up your face too.
Was wearing a shield - but a cheapy and it surely helped some. Unfortunately, I had just changed from a full mask respirator that might have deflected some of the force. i had just sneezed in it and did not want to be bothered cleaning it
 
Mike, think of it as having a car accident and wearing a seatbelt. You got banged up but are still alive. Your faceshield, albeit cheapo thwarted a lot of injury.

I remember once upon a time a state trouper told me he had never unbuckled a dead body from wreck. Note the word unbuckled.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #14
Still can’t breathe thru the nose tooto well. But nothing has spoiled my natural good looks! In fact when my daughter walked into the ER, her first comment was that maybe it would straighten my already bowed nose. Being hit by an errant softball did some previous repositioning!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #16
Geez dude! Hope it wasn’t something I gave you!
LOL!! Nope, something I picked up at the reuse center!. Got two more pieces. I think I will just saw and sand them - not put on the lathe!!!

BTW, your wood is too good to use - I just whoard it!
 
Back
Top