22 question

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Couple weeks ago I asked about an air gun. When talking with a friend about it he said he had a 22 with a scope I could borrow. Turns out it's a dandy of a Ruger that shoots Win. 22 mags. Well I'll be darned if I can find any rounds, even Cabelas doesn't have them. The local Walmart said they haven't seen any since 2013. A friend did find some for me at a Gander Mt. and bought a couple boxes for me.

Another friend asked why not just use 22 long rifle. I won't do it because it's not my gun but I'm curious if it's possible?

Graybeard

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
If the gun is labeled for .22 mag only, Then that's the only thing I'd use in it. You might be able to make it shoot with the others but I wouldn't risk damage to the gun or damage to your person.

I'm surprised you can't find any .22 mag. I've seen it in several places around here (The little hole in the wall places, I don't think it even makes it to the shelf in the big box stores)

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Yeah, .22 mag is a larger round than a 22 lr. The casing is bigger. A .22lr cartridge would probably fire, but I wouldn't try it.

Walmart usually has some here, best place to look since your walmart doesn't have any would be gun shops. Most smaller gun shops, pawn shops, etc have a fairly wide range of ammo, just not much of each (except .223 and 5.56).

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, good information. I'll stick with the proper rounds.

Graybeard

Foot Patrol

ABS Apprentice BladeSmith
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I bought a Henry Golden Boy 4 years ago in .22 mag and can't find ammo. Its like they stopped producing it. I just don't get it. .22 LR is all over now.