Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spent another 6 hours on the build today and I managed to get the cockpit installed as well as the walls of the X-wing around the cockpit installed. A few trim pieces finished off those panels just nicely. I have to say that this is one of the more challenging builds that I have done. I'm hoping for a full day on it tomorrow and also hoping for some good progress. It really doesn't look like I did much today for spending 6 hours on it.

GEDC0051.JPG GEDC0052.JPG GEDC0053.JPG GEDC0054.JPG GEDC0055.JPG

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Spent 8 hours figuring out how to make the wing housing today. There were a whole mess of angle to figure out and more dry fits than I care to mention but in the end, I got it made. I realized after I had it glued together that I neglected to cut one of the long slots for the lower wing assembly so I had to do that after it was all glued together. I also found that a quick dry fit, didn't allow the assembly to fit in the front end of the model so I had to make a bunch of adjustments, but it all fits together now. Coming along nicely.

GEDC0056.JPG GEDC0058.JPG GEDC0059.JPG GEDC0060.JPG GEDC0061.JPG GEDC0062.JPG GEDC0063.JPG GEDC0064.JPG GEDC0065.JPG GEDC0066.JPG

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Had a few hours to kill this afternoon so I decided to do a little work on the model. I added the final little trim pieces at the rear of the wing compartment and got all 4 wings cut and the detail panels routed in them. The wings are only 1/8" thick and the routed lines are mirrored on both sides of the wings so I had to reduce the routing to 1/32" deep so that I didn't compromise the stability of the wing or cut right through. These routings are nerve racking. LOL.
GEDC0068.JPG GEDC0069.JPG GEDC0070.JPG GEDC0071.JPG GEDC0072.JPG GEDC0073.JPG

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Ken - are you routing with a Dremel or a trim router?

Neither. I'm using a full sized 3-3/4 HP motor in my router table. I love my router table setup.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Had some time to kill today so I headed out to the shop to work on some of the model piece. I decided to work on the engines which was all lathe work. I managed to get a catch on the first one I turned and ruined it but everything else went pretty smoothly. I just dry fit them together to see if they looked right. I'm not done making these as there is more to do but that is enough for today. I can only stand at the lathe for so long.

GEDC0074.JPG GEDC0075.JPG GEDC0076.JPG GEDC0077.JPG GEDC0078.JPG

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Well I spent a good part of the morning today building a little jig to hold one of my trim routers so that I could do the fluting on the engines. Let's just say that this one that is pictured is actually the 3rd prototype as the others failed miserably. Either way, I got all the fluting done on the engines and then made most of the wing brackets to hold the engines in place. I only managed to get two of the engines and brackets installed and I'm far from done but after 7 hours, I was pretty much done for the day. I'm thinking I may go back out there again tonight and see if I can get more done.

GEDC0079.JPG GEDC0080.JPG GEDC0081.JPG GEDC0082.JPG GEDC0083.JPG GEDC0084.JPG GEDC0085.JPG

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Spent another 5 1/2 hours on the build today. Worked on the laser cannons which took a long time. They aren't finished by any means but the hardest and most time consuming part is done. I also worked on the lower wings and their engine mounts. Once that was all done, I finished off the day by starting to add some more details to the wing's engine brackets. That was enough for one day. A dry fit shows that things are going nicely. More next week folks.
GEDC0086.JPG GEDC0087.JPG GEDC0088.JPG GEDC0089.JPG GEDC0090.JPG

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Is the r2 unit going to be a removable figure or just the head?

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Is the r2 unit going to be a removable figure or just the head?

The compartment where he sits cannot house a full R2 unit so it will just be the head and his upper body and arms.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
The compartment where he sits cannot house a full R2 unit so it will just be the head and his upper body and arms.
You built gears for a dump bed but you can't figure out how to fit a ASTRO Droid in a space designed for an ASTRO Droid? You're slipping old man...

:sofa:

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
You built gears for a dump bed but you can't figure out how to fit a ASTRO Droid in a space designed for an ASTRO Droid? You're slipping old man...

:sofa:
:lol2:Unfortunately, the space is needed to house the wing mechanisms. But I'll see what I can do, just for you.