Afzealia or amboyna burl.

Mike, I KNOW you know your woods, but amboyna burl? Really? That just looks like something with a bunch of resin canals. "Weird amboyna" I might buy, a burl?

@Mr. Peet
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
Amboyna and afzelia burl do this. The smell is the tell. This is one or the other. Outside of burl is different.
I have lots of amboyna. Most typical eyes. I cut this today. Cleaning shop.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
That would make an incredible reel seat insert if the resin channels can be solidified.
Figure is on sides . I hate it when my post gets negative comment at start. Sorta used to it. Might get some one to agree to get someone to turn a couple mills for me. Super glue and blackwood saw dust and roughness of channels gets smooth and I will have orange and black mills.
 
I hate it when my post gets negative comment at start.
Mike, sorry I sounded negative. Just trying for clarity. As I said, I KNOW you know your woods, but I was puzzled, never having seen anything like this before. Doesn't look like a burl to me, but I have no trouble believing you. Burls get weird. The first time I saw an onion burl, I didn't believe it was a burl either. @Mr. Peet set me straight.
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #10
Mike, sorry I sounded negative. Just trying for clarity. As I said, I KNOW you know your woods, but I was puzzled, never having seen anything like this before. Doesn't look like a burl to me, but I have no trouble believing you. Burls get weird. The first time I saw an onion burl, I didn't believe it was a burl either. @Mr. Peet set me straight.
I see things i disagree with. Usually use tact or keep my mouth shut. Well unless @SENC or @Tclem posted it.
 
Some kind of evil sting ray
Somebody that carves and does sculpting for this is your buyer. I see this as an opportunity for someone that does. I see something else that is “tantric” or “supernatural” like in ancient Central America.
 
Last edited:
I see things i disagree with. Usually use tact or keep my mouth shut. Well unless @SENC or @Tclem posted it.
I prefer to have an open discussion. I call'm like I see'm, but I am very open to being wrong. Don't mean to start arguments, just mean to start discussions.

I do realize that most folks take your point of view, but as Popeye said, I yam what I yam.
 
Mike, I KNOW you know your woods, but amboyna burl? Really? That just looks like something with a bunch of resin canals. "Weird amboyna" I might buy, a burl?

@Mr. Peet
I like yams....

I would have called it included bark or "resin wood". It looks similar to 'Black-knot' in some cherry. Black-knot is not a burl, but an infection that causes un-normal growth, often containing resin wood and included bark. In the craft world, it is sold as "burl".

If I had the tree, might be able to determine why it grew in such a manner. I don't, so just go with Mike's call for now.

As for the wood, Amboyna is a term to be used only with burled Pterocarpus species. Telling these from Afzelia is more on a magnified level.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #14
I like yams....

I would have called it included bark or "resin wood". It looks similar to 'Black-knot' in some cherry. Black-knot is not a burl, but an infection that causes un-normal growth, often containing resin wood and included bark. In the craft world, it is sold as "burl".

If I had the tree, might be able to determine why it grew in such a manner. I don't, so just go with Mike's call for now.

As for the wood, Amboyna is a term to be used only with burled Pterocarpus species. Telling these from Afzelia is more on a magnified level.
I agree. Only 1 indicator for me. Cut a lot of amboyna, the real stuff, bright red, distinct aroma. Golden amboyna, beautiful but almost no aroma. And afzealia a little sweeter and subtleler than amboyna. I have not cut a lot of it but smell is unique to me. This is afzealia. Non scientific for sure. I should have pictured life edge. I will.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #15
I prefer to have an open discussion. I call'm like I see'm, but I am very open to being wrong. Don't mean to start arguments, just mean to start discussions.

I do realize that most folks take your point of view, but as Popeye said, I yam what I yam.
And i am diffinitely one not to mince words. We are good my friend.
 
“Lungs”…….
Good call, actually, since I think that looks a lot like what I image my lungs to look like. I've been diagnosed with eosinophilic asthma, which in my case means I have prolonged episodes of spasmodic coughing. Lots of fun.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #18
Good call, actually, since I think that looks a lot like what I image my lungs to look like. I've been diagnosed with eosinophilic asthma, which in my case means I have prolonged episodes of spasmodic coughing. Lots of fun.
I get it. Last year was my first multiple health crisis for me. Parts were fallen off all over. Long story short, I am back to normal, less docs. Part of our time of life. Beats the hell out of the alternative.
 
Whew, that's a relief. I thought you felt my post was negative and I was going to have to defend reel seat inserts.
 
Back
Top