Amboyna Burl Scoop

Bob Ireland

Reaction score
First name
Bob
Way cool. I have no idea how you can do such wonderful projects so quickly. I'd be happy with once a month and you seem to be turning them out once a week. Truly impressive.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Way cool. I have no idea how you can do such wonderful projects so quickly. I'd be happy with once a month and you seem to be turning them out once a week. Truly impressive.
Thanks Bob! I’m trying to get at least two or three done a week...some weeks are better than others.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
ITS ALIVE!! Don't know what it reminds me of, but could be a prop in a horror movie, or sitting next to a witches cauldron. Or, maybe it's just my crazy imagination and it is that time of year.

Beautiful piece!

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
ITS ALIVE!! Don't know what it reminds me of, but could be a prop in a horror movie, or sitting next to a witches cauldron. Or, maybe it's just my crazy imagination and it is that time of year.

Beautiful piece!
Thank you! It reminds me of a lizard

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Thanks Bob! I’m trying to get at least two or three done a week...some weeks are better than others.
Sean, would you mind saying how many hours it takes to do one of these and how much you sell them for?

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Sean, I echo @Bob Ireland on the frequency you're crankin these beautiful pieces out. I probably need to go back to working so I have more time on my hands! :wacko:
Some excellent carving, and the heartwood sitting so well balanced on top...nice! I could see this as a custom carved pipe taken just a slightly different direction than this scoop...but the scoop is great. :good2:

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
Sean, would you mind saying how many hours it takes to do one of these and how much you sell them for?
I don’t really keep track, but I’d say I have 10+ into this piece. I haven’t thought about the price yet, but probably somewhere around $300? I’d love to hear some feedback on that though. I will say the wood itself wasn’t inexpensive.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
Sean, I echo @Bob Ireland on the frequency you're crankin these beautiful pieces out. I probably need to go back to working so I have more time on my hands! :wacko:
Some excellent carving, and the heartwood sitting so well balanced on top...nice! I could see this as a custom carved pipe taken just a slightly different direction than this scoop...but the scoop is great. :good2:
Thank you Tim, I really appreciate it! I had someone else comment that they thought it was a pipe at first. I like the idea a lot and may explore that in the future.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I don’t really keep track, but I’d say I have 10+ into this piece. I haven’t thought about the price yet, but probably somewhere around $300? I’d love to hear some feedback on that though. I will say the wood itself wasn’t inexpensive.
Personally, knowing the wood as I do and really appreciating the artistry of your work, I think $300 is quite reasonable. The problem of course will be finding buyers who agree.

The good news of course is that it just LOOKS gorgeous.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
Personally, knowing the wood as I do and really appreciating the artistry of your work, I think $300 is quite reasonable. The problem of course will be finding buyers who agree.

The good news of course is that it just LOOKS gorgeous.
Thank you! I was lucky to sell the carved Amboyna bowl within 10 mins, so we shall see.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Spectacular piece! I love the color on the bowl, I'm sure you deliberately designed it that way.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
Spectacular piece! I love the color on the bowl, I'm sure you deliberately designed it that way.
Thanks Tony! I definitely made use of the heartwood in this piece. I’m fortunate that I have a good seller in Indonesia that brings greats specimens to the table.