Ambrosia Maple Door

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
[attachment=4818][attachment=4819][attachment=4820]

This is my ambrosia Maple door for my cabin. Made with 4/4 lumber. Frames were laminated instead of made with 8/4 lumber. There is an air space between the panels to help with the temperature extremes here in Indiana.

door3.jpg

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Very cool! Love that ambrosia!

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
gvwp said:
This is my ambrosia Maple door for my cabin. Made with 4/4 lumber. Frames were laminated instead of made with 8/4 lumber. There is an air space between the panels to help with the temperature extremes here in Indiana.

SWEET! Love ambrosia and that's loaded with it!! :yipee::yipee:

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
Awesome work ! I would expect anything on the other side of that door.... Leprechauns and pots of gold for instance..... Very cool work man !

davduckman2010

were ever you go-- there you are
Reaction score
First name
david
gvwp said:
[/quot that looks amazeing i going to do a whole room in ambrosia thanks for the pic its stunning. dave

davduckman2010

Reaction score
First name
david
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:
[/quot that looks amazeing i going to do a whole room in ambrosia thanks for the pic its stunning. dave

what kind of oil and finnish do you use.

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
davduckman2010 said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:

A UV friendly stain and poly. Got a bit too dark of stain on this one. A little disappointed in the final product because of the darker than desired stain but its still beautiful. Its all installed now and really sets off the front of the cabin.

davduckman2010

Reaction score
First name
david
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:

A UV friendly stain and poly. Got a bit too dark of stain on this one. A little disappointed in the final product because of the darker than desired stain but its still beautiful. Its all installed now and really sets off the front of the cabin.

looks great i was just wondering im getting 2500 brd feet of ambrosia maple milled . i planning a computer room with the floor and half way up the walls plus the trim in the same ambrosia as your door and i want to get the finnish right before i start. but now i got to have that door made to too cool !!! :good2::good2::yipee: cant wait thanks dave

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:

looks great i was just wondering im getting 2500 brd feet of ambrosia maple milled . i planning a computer room with the floor and half way up the walls plus the trim in the same ambrosia as your door and i want to get the finnish right before i start. but now i got to have that door made to too cool !!! :good2::good2::yipee: cant wait thanks dave

A straight clear coat works great. Be sure not to get too dark of a stain or it will make the ambrosia figure become less defined and you want it to pop out at you. Is the ambrosia for your room T&G or staight or how are you doing it?

davduckman2010

Reaction score
First name
david
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:

A straight clear coat works great. Be sure not to get too dark of a stain or it will make the ambrosia figure become less defined and you want it to pop out at you. Is the ambrosia for your room T&G or staight or how are you doing it?

im pretty sure im going with t&g theres a mill pretty close that has all the milling machines to make just about any thing . iv got 12 realy big logs 30 + inches across down in my yard and a few hundred more standing so theres no shortage. i may do the hole house before im done lol . i want to get it right though i hearing to just use oil and clear coats what do you think. im new at woodworking but i have remolded homes my hole life thanks dave:yes:

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:

im pretty sure im going with t&g theres a mill pretty close that has all the milling machines to make just about any thing . iv got 12 realy big logs 30 + inches across down in my yard and a few hundred more standing so theres no shortage. i may do the hole house before im done lol . i want to get it right though i hearing to just use oil and clear coats what do you think. im new at woodworking but i have remolded homes my hole life thanks dave:yes:

Yes, I like the natural look of Maple and the ambrosia stripes. Maple can vary in color quite a bit. Red Maple tends to have more white sapwood. Silver Maple tends to have a bit darker wood although I've seen a real good white sapwood in both. Heartwood is usually much darker and will vary widely as to the amount. Nice heartwood can really be beautiful in some of the larger logs. I just took some curly ambrosia Maple out of the kiln today and it has a wild heartwood with curly figure and ambrosia stripe. Really pretty wood. Sounds like you have a good selection of logs available to choose from. From what I have seen the larger logs make the better ambrosia Maple. Look for the small worm holes in the trunk. This will give you an indication of how much worm will be in the lumber.

davduckman2010

Reaction score
First name
david
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:
davduckman2010 said:
gvwp said:

Yes, I like the natural look of Maple and the ambrosia stripes. Maple can vary in color quite a bit. Red Maple tends to have more white sapwood. Silver Maple tends to have a bit darker wood although I've seen a real good white sapwood in both. Heartwood is usually much darker and will vary widely as to the amount. Nice heartwood can really be beautiful in some of the larger logs. I just took some curly ambrosia Maple out of the kiln today and it has a wild heartwood with curly figure and ambrosia stripe. Really pretty wood. Sounds like you have a good selection of logs available to choose from. From what I have seen the larger logs make the better ambrosia Maple. Look for the small worm holes in the trunk. This will give you an indication of how much worm will be in the lumber.

yea your right the larger ones have the figure just around the edges with a very small heart and all creamy white i think they will look great slabed out . the smaller trees 18 to 24 all have the intense figuring . we only cut 6 down all where infected. i have some 10 feet around and i wood guess 60 + feet tall there massive . we check the hole ten acres all the trees are peppered with the holes :i_am_so_happy::i_am_so_happy::i_am_so_happy:they can wait lol

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
gvwp said:

Yes, the look of the pattern is kind of "hypnotizing" can't stare at it too long! Whart part of Indiana, I grew up in southern Indiana. Daviess County.

Neil

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
NeilYeag said:
gvwp said:

Yes, the look of the pattern is kind of "hypnotizing" can't stare at it too long! Whart part of Indiana, I grew up in southern Indiana. Daviess County.

Neil

West central. Near Terre Haute.