Anchorseal

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
My gallon of Anchorseal finally came in today. Now I can get some of this green wood cut and sealed. How thick do you guys put it on?

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Pretty thick, particularly with the newer formulation which is reported to be quite inferior to the original.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
If it's something that moves allot I will double coat it. Anchor seal is cheap compared to the wood I buy so I really slather it on.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. Thanks. I ordered the original, I had read it's better than the "green" stuff.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I use the original and 2 coat everything.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
If the wood has feather grain , seal the feathered surface.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went ahead and sealed all sides of everything. Except for barked edges. Thanks all.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I find that if you go through a lot of it or can find some local folks willing to split a pail, the five gallon is a much better price than buying gallons

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
If you have a turning club nearby, check with them. Ours buys by the 55gal drum and then sells it in 1 gal sizes.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I buy directly from UC Coatings- 5 gallon drum is much more cost effective. I put one coat first and push it to the pores. I wait a day to dry and put another coat. If you have discovered checks on the lumber- put a coat on it regardless where it is. I put liberal amounts to where any knots exist and live edges. I also prefer the original formula. I prefer it as it is slightly thicker to me compare to the 2nd version.

Robert Baccus

old forester
Reaction score
First name
Robert
When anchorseal went "green" I went to "artisan brand" sold bu Craft supplies. Just as good as the old anchorseal--most of the endseals were brought out for commercial mills and are basically the same--until Calif. went green. I had to change to different lacquers and SS because of the exuberant green folks.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Anyone use pentacryl green wood stabilizer? I read something about it recently, looks interesting for smaller blanks. Soak for a few days then they are supposed to dry quite fast without cracking?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Anyone use pentacryl green wood stabilizer? I read something about it recently, looks interesting for smaller blanks. Soak for a few days then they are supposed to dry quite fast without cracking?

I see people mention it online, but I don’t know anyone personally who has ever used it.